Channel 88a

Someday

Is it possible I can not get channel 88a on my Ray 45 vhf? I have downloaded the manual, I have found "Int", I have hit every combination of buttons, still nothing but 88. Or option b; leave off and fish.....Any suggestions. Thanks

you should have 3 modes usa/can/int you want to be in the Can mode then 88a should come up for you

Actually I take that back you don't have a Can mode,
sorry I cant help ya then cause I don't know

I was on a fellows boat a few years ago and his VHF radio had no USA mode. It was pretty much useless except for channel 16, and the weather. I don't know if it was he only used the boat on the west coast of the island and that is what they use there or not. Never did get an explanation.
On international you should be able to hear 88a but not broadcast, I think.
when was the unit made?

USA mode on most I have seen. Also tap your head and rub your belly while holding on to something metal.

When I do go to Int, there is no other option like USA or Can. Maybe it is made in the US and doesn't have other options. The radio came with the boat. I have never used a vhf before, so I am not familiar with them. To me they all sound like taxi cab drivers that have their own language, almost like Charlie Browns teacher...Whaa whaa wa whaa wha. lol
Pippen may have the closest answer.

My older VHF display did not indicate the "A" but I believe if you are in the USA mode you are on 88A.

Pippen, that is the exact manual I down loaded. Still, nothing. Thanks for looking into this though, I appreciate the help. I think I will stick to fishing and not the chit chat...but sometimes it would be helpful to know the latest hot spots.
1stLite, let me know when you go out and we can chat on our old radio's lol. Sure looking forward to Nootka.

88A is USA
88 is Canada
a lot of people think 88A is our Canadian local which in fact is not, if you are broadcasting on 88A you are broadcasting to can and US
although the TX frequencies (157.425)are the same I believe the RX frequencies are different whereas the US receive on the same freq can receives on a 167. freq.
in other words you may hear a caller hailing you but they may not hear you back

When I do go to Int, there is no other option like USA or Can. Maybe it is made in the US and doesn't have other options. The radio came with the boat. I have never used a vhf before, so I am not familiar with them. To me they all sound like taxi cab drivers that have their own language, almost like Charlie Browns teacher...Whaa whaa wa whaa wha. lol
Pippen may have the closest answer.
All operators of VHF radio's need to have an operators certificate. It's not hard to get and will teach you how to use a radio properly. I think you can take the course online too.

http://www.boatingcourses.ca/course-descriptions/maritime-radio-0

I did not know this fact until I started researching about this channel 88a. I think it would be a good thing to have taken a course. Waiting until an emergency is not the time to figure things out.

All operators of VHF radio's need to have an operators certificate. It's not hard to get and will teach you how to use a radio properly. I think you can take the course online too.

http://www.boatingcourses.ca/course-descriptions/maritime-radio-0

The ROCM (Radio Operator's Certification, Marine Designation) cannot be tested for online. There is no "challenge" exam available. Which is a total bummer. I wanted to take it this spring but due to work demands I have not been able to. As I understand it, it is a short course that is not difficult, but the exam has some oral components so it must be completed in person.

Pippen, that is the exact manual I down loaded. Still, nothing. Thanks for looking into this though, I appreciate the help. I think I will stick to fishing and not the chit chat...but sometimes it would be helpful to know the latest hot spots.
1stLite, let me know when you go out and we can chat on our old radio's lol. Sure looking forward to Nootka.
Sounds good I am out most weekends off Nanaimo ch 68

Radio Operators Certificate - Marine

The ROCM (Radio Operator's Certification, Marine Designation) cannot be tested for online. There is no "challenge" exam available. Which is a total bummer. I wanted to take it this spring but due to work demands I have not been able to. As I understand it, it is a short course that is not difficult, but the exam has some oral components so it must be completed in person.

If you sign up with Ecomarine you can pick up the book and CD right away in Granville Island. At least you can learn how to use a VHF properly before the class. http://www.ecomarine.com/courses/vhf-radio-operator-certification/

I've been out around Ukee and Tofino areas in my 14' inflatable and realized how easily I could get into trouble and need a radio. So I just took the course and got certified. It was two 3 hour classes. First class is going through the book and the second is for testing. The exam is easy if you read through the book once and watch/listen to the scenarios on the CD. There were 2 oral components. One was the Phonetic Alphabet and the other, they give you a scenario which you must use the correct calling procedures.

I picked up this Icom M-92D unit with GPS from Steveston Marine. Reg $499 and on sale for $199.
http://www.stevestonmarine.com/Icom-Icom-M-92D-Gps-Handheld-Vhf-Icom-M-92D-Canada

Back