CFAX Podcast (Sept25th) Ian Jessop's talk show; guest fish farm rep.

sammyslabber

CFAX had a salmon farm spin - doctor on Ian Jessop's talk show yesterday Sept 25th 1pm timeslot, you can listen to Podcast on the following CFAX link, the segment starts around 1:30 pm.

http://www.cfax1070.com/Podcasts

Interesting.... I thought the one listener that asked the president of association of salmon farmers would you be on the hook if wild stocks take a dive...sure shifted that question...The response was they been practicing safely for 30 years... So in a way I perceived answerer was no. And the direct attack by G. Marty saying Morton doesn't have a PHD so they won't work with her...Man on man.

Its too bad you know we need aquaculture there are many on here that make a living to do it... We just need to put them on land...I think the battle is that if they do that the public won't accept the high prices... Sometimes I am not so sure look what asia will pay. My thought is they would pay it anyway. And our government could care less about any of us or the farmers. They just want the tax money...The farms are great tax revenue. Its a no win situation. Thanks for posting.

This is the future people are already doing it in Europe as well as FN on north of island:

http://www.seafoodsource.com/news/aquaculture/25278-first-fish-for-new-land-based-danish-farm

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard Ian mention something about Morton prior to the broadcast; apparently the fish farm rep was there to do a rebuttal on the issue, probably wanted to try to smooth things over or should I dare say hoodwink.

Ocean farm tax incentives; sounds like a government invented loophole; if they want farm credits do it on land.

Thanks for the linx, guys. My take from that interview is it's gonna be an uphill battle for that industry to rebuild its social licence with those two characters behind the mike.

Dr. Gary marty is a provincial employee. INSTEAD of defending the public's right and access to open and transparent data - he wants the fish farms to be "comfortable" so they will participate. FRIGGEN EXCUSE ME!!! They get TOLD - that data is public, PERIOD!

IN ADDITION - his assertions that ISAv can't be transmitted to Pacific salmon - the studies he references: ISAV was also isolated from coho salmon showing jaundice in a Chilean fish farm (Kibenge et al. 2001); the Rolland et al. (2003) study found Chinook died from the Norwegian Bremnes strain of ISA, no sockeye were tested, and higher titres were found in chum salmon. The authors (p. 518) cautioned: “..and the reisolation of ISAV from the Pacific salmon species used in these trials indicates that it would be unwise to overlook the possibility of ISAV replicating in, or establishing a carrier status among these species should they be exposed to the virus.”.

Marty is using your tax dollars to lie to you and defend an industry verses your right for information that should be forthcoming.

Back