Centre console boat Opinion

I had a 21 foot Hydra Sport CC for 4 years. While it was always my dream boat at the time, after 4 seasons I began to realize their limitations in our climate. Now it depends what your needs are. My boat came out of Florida where its 30+ plus degrees every day April-Oct. In Kelowna on local lakes its probably awesome for skiing and dragging a tube during the summer. They are lighter to trailer of course as theres no cabin structure to drag around. The downside for me was too much exposure to the elements. When I got done after a day of fishing, my body was exhausted. You're in the elements all day. If it rains, you will get soaked. It you are in rough seas with a strong wind, waters coming over the side or bow for sure. I put wings on the side of mine and a front Eisenglass (sp) window to reduce getting wet. It helped, but, didn't stop it. When that was up, it was a pain to get to the front of the boat as it blocked off the side access route to the front of the boat. Mine had a small head inside the CC console which was great, but, very small. Total weight was approx 5500lbs on the trailer. I suspect at 3500 lbs, you may have limitations on what you can buy as an 18 footer all in with trailer is going to exceed that or be damn close. I still love CC's, but, practically they didn't work as well on the West Coast of BC as a WACC. Maybe it will be ideal for your needs, but understand the limitations....

I had a 21 foot Hydra Sport CC for 4 years. While it was always my dream boat at the time, after 4 seasons I began to realize their limitations in our climate. Now it depends what your needs are. My boat came out of Florida where its 30+ plus degrees every day April-Oct. In Kelowna on local lakes its probably awesome for skiing and dragging a tube during the summer. They are lighter to trailer of course as theres no cabin structure to drag around. The downside for me was too much exposure to the elements. When I got done after a day of fishing, my body was exhausted. You're in the elements all day. If it rains, you will get soaked. It you are in rough seas with a strong wind, waters coming over the side or bow for sure. I put wings on the side of mine and a front Eisenglass (sp) window to reduce getting wet. It helped, but, didn't stop it. When that was up, it was a pain to get to the front of the boat as it blocked off the side access route to the front of the boat. Mine had a small head inside the CC console which was great, but, very small. Total weight was approx 5500lbs on the trailer. I suspect at 3500 lbs, you may have limitations on what you can buy as an 18 footer all in with trailer is going to exceed that or be damn close. I still love CC's, but, practically they didn't work as well on the West Coast of BC as a WACC. Maybe it will be ideal for your needs, but understand the limitations....
I totally understand the limitations of protection from the elements. It’s a toss up for me; either have a closed in bow and have protection or have a CC and have more space for family to sit/walk around.

Would not buy a CC, But would love to put one in neutral and fight a fish and have the whole boat to walk around. That would be pretty cool

I love my centre console (see avatar). It is 21' welded aluminum with an 8'6" beam. Not pretty but a purpose built fishing boat. Estimated weght with three guys, fuel and gear is around 4500 lbs. It was an ex lodge boat that we have pretty much done over through the last couple of season. We redid the wiring, added Kiwi Grip to the floor, added Simrad electronics and radar, new power in the form of a 200 HP Etec and a 15 HP Etec kicker, new antenna and vhf. Also added an EPIRB, 4 Man liferaft, custom aluminum cargo box, more rod holders, new bilge pump, redid the upholstery, added a raw water washdown, fish cleaning table and purchased a new EZ loader 5,000 lb trailer. We fish mainly from April/May to the end of August on a Lake in the Central Okanagan and WCVI in the summer. Temperature is not usually a significant concern. We had a full enclosure built from high quality materials by a really great craftsman and that keeps the wind and rain off for the most part. We also have wings for the sides and have not needed them much. The ability to move around and fight a fish is great - many friends who have fished on the boat have commented on how fishable a platform a CC can be. The ability to get at the net or halibut anchor in the front is great. The boat is light and easy to haul and have not found many things we don not like. This will be my boat until I retire in a few years. If you can find an ex-lodge boat and have the patience and $ to get it to where you are taking advantage of the full utility of a CC you will enjoy the boat.

So we went to SG power in Victoria on way to see family and my wife stepped on to a podded 18’ Sliver Streak and loved it. Such a crazy boat. That is the type she wants now. Need to go find a cc boat and compare the difference.

Back