Cattle Point Launch Dock?

Fisherman Rob

Has there ever been a proposal to install a ramp side dock at the Cattle Point Launch in Oak Bay? While it's nice that it's a free launch, there are some days that having a dock would make things much safer and easier.

It will never happen unless its removable.
Southeast winds that arrive November thru January would beat the hell out of any
permanent docks

Even the cleats get busted up in the winter. I added some rope loops to tie off to because all the cleats at the top part of the ramp got busted off by logs during winter high tides.

I don't know bout the costs of these break walls but I'm pretty sure that if they did it and made it walk on the municipality would benefit from that too. But Sidney puts docks in at talista and removes at least on of them every year who pays for that?

I don't know bout the costs of these break walls but I'm pretty sure that if they did it and made it walk on the municipality would benefit from that too. But Sidney puts docks in at talista and removes at least on of them every year who pays for that?
How do you figure Oak Bay would benefit from putting in a breakwall?
There is NO CHANCE of that happening..ZERO...I am thankful there is a ramp there at all.

Dont get me wrong im thankful there is a ramp, but tourists gonto cattle point all the time keep the attraction and keep em coming; it was a big if for sure that hedging on cost. Its a dreamers world out there and ill keep dreaming. I helped a friend launch there on Saturday a gentlemen was upset coming in cause some other guy beside us didnt observe the one in one out type etiquette, none the less a courteous communication with him and he settled down we all share the public launch no need to get upset especially when there was such nice weather out. Keep it calm courteous and everyone wins simple words.

I have been launching there for almost 20 years, and I've seen some real strange situations.
on the weekend I had to wait almost 15 mins for a group to launch.
back and forth the to the truck, loading people ,cooler's gear etc.
I think I've seen it all.
patience is a virtue they say....

Reactions: cby
RCMP were going through one particular boat at the ramp.
They didn't seem to pay any attention to anyone else.
I've got a feeling there was a tipoff being investigated.

apparently there used to be a dock there years ago, but it got smashed in the winter.
What about extending/raising the sidewalk that goes down along beside the ramp?

i've toyed with the idea of a go-fund-me campaign to put in a dock there.

It's a shame this ramp isn't set up better. At the very least it should have a dock put in place for the summer.

At higher tides the north launch is doable, and more sheltered from the se..
Having a long port-side stern line is a must for the main ramp.

I have been launching there for almost 20 years, and I've seen some real strange situations.
on the weekend I had to wait almost 15 mins for a group to launch.
back and forth the to the truck, loading people ,cooler's gear etc.
I think I've seen it all.
patience is a virtue they say....

Yes it can be quite the gong show..used to sit there as a kid and watch the circus..one memorable time was the guy that left the launch with the trailer still strapped to the boat!!

i've toyed with the idea of a go-fund-me campaign to put in a dock there.

It wouldn't last, as soon as the Southeaster's start blowing in November it would get smashed to bits

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cby
A dock wouldn't be that hard to put in place over the summer and tow to a safe spot for the winter. Doesn't seem like that much of an expense.

Back