Catch of the Day

Fished wolf lake at the base of mount washington the other day and managed to get two small ones. Only brought bait lines but could tell, with this sun we've been having, some hatches have started. Lots of surface action, but also big schools of fry started jumping right before dark. You know the big cutties have to be swallowing them up. I plan to get out again, this time armed with a fly rod and some bucktails or epoxy minnows and hopefully I'll get one worth getting some pictures of.

Mike

Try an Olive rabit stip leech with a red chenniel belly and a 1/8 gold bead on a size 8 streamer! Hit a few over 20" on that already this year. Looks like a baitfish in the water!

-KK

Yes lots of boats out this weekend on Elk that wern't the weekend before. Was there Friday afternoon with the kids and did well after 4 pm but nothing before that. Fished again early Sat morning and the Fly on Friday afternon might as well have have been a piece of lead because nothing but completely differnt fly worked very well.

Remember Kunni it was like this last year before the derby, I think Rendraw was slaying them but by derby day, well lets say it changed. Hope it's better this year.

James

Yes lots of boats out this weekend on Elk that wern't the weekend before. Was there Friday afternoon with the kids and did well after 4 pm but nothing before that. Fished again early Sat morning and the Fly on Friday afternon might as well have have been a piece of lead because nothing but completely differnt fly worked very well.

Remember Kunni it was like this last year before the derby, I think Rendraw was slaying them but by derby day, well lets say it changed. Hope it's better this year.

James

haha yes it was a slow derby day for me last year, hoping for a better showing this year....I'm going to try some new tactics as well as try for a bass this year.

well I was at elk again today, third time in a row. It was crazy windy at around 2pm, i got about a litre of water in my boat from waves breaking over my bow, it was probably the first time that I was actually scared of capsizing. I was skunked, I tried everything but nothing worked. I am contemplating going out next weekend, but theres a rowing competition on saturday, and sunday from 7am-5pm both days, is anyone planning to go out? If so i probably will. James, I have been doing sort of well at the lake as of late, so hopefully I still have a good day at the derby.:)

kunni

Last edited by a moderator:
ok sweet, i think I will be there regardless after seeing those fish in the island outfitetrs fishing report. I will be anchored up fishing chironomids.

kunni

Today was deffinitly my lucky day with a 4.5 pound cutty that wanted nothing to do with the camera. We were into about 50 fish total. most in the 18-20" range. Rainbow to cutty ratio was 50/50.

QuamApril3rd2013005_zps3e624605.jpg

But to top off the great day and weather was this hog that hammered me on the last pass! What a pig measuring out at 24.5" and i figure in the 5 pound range!

QuamApril3rd2013012_zps1d6363f3.jpg

Cheers

-KK

Beauties you got there KK! Im back on the island now so hit me up soon!

My girlfriend got this one today in Lookout lake! Wasnt expecting anything this size!
FA3C3B08-1A31-4560-8276-9648B7900089-2534-0000044A189266C0.jpg

KK, was that quamichan? thats some awesome fishing

kunni

Ice off? Whats that? LOL in all honesty though I want to do a trip to Kamloops in mid May for my Birthday! Would be fun.

Thanks for the replies guys! Things are heating up now! GEt out there and have some fun.

-KK

Nice fish buddy!

I went out for en evening fish lastnight close to home and got into 14 fish all tiny guys in the 10-12" range. Still lots of fun on an indicator and a chironimid. First time ive pumped matched the hatch and nailed it on the head! Awsome night.

Cheers!

-KK

Nice Fish Karma-Kazi! I got a 5.5 pounder out of Quamichan on April 2nd. My biggest island fish to date. Got it on a double header, my girlfriend reeled in her largest fish (18") on the other rod. I got the big one on a large flatfish in rainbow pattern. I was pretty stoked. I'll try to get a picture up when i'm back out of camp.

Nice catches lately guys !!!

Did Durrance today from shore...SHOCKED at how few people were there on a Saturday morning...
Caught 4/landed 3. Three landed were the usual suspects and a "nice" one got off the hook right at shore. :p

was the nice one one of the broods? atleast you got a good fight before it spat the hook, but it does suck loosing a large fish right before you land it. Hopefully i dont loose anything too big tomorrow at elk

kunni

Nice work guys sounds like its heating up everywhere!

Hey Vanisle Sounds like a hog. Do you have a length measurment on it? Do you run those plugs on fly rods? If so try a type 6 sink line and a stickleback pattern in a size 8. Or a black or olive bunny leech with a red or green chenielle body wrap!

-KK

was the nice one one of the broods? atleast you got a good fight before it spat the hook, but it does suck loosing a large fish right before you land it.
kunni

I think it was, wasn't as big as the last one I caught but it was probably around the 2lb mark...quite the rod bend for a moment there :D

Awesome day at elk lake today. 1-20inch 3lber, 1-18inch 2.5lber, 1-small cutthroat trout what a fight for such a small fish! 3 other small fish around 12inch. Had to go in early, because it started to hail! Luckily I bought a camera, so heres some pictures! The first three pics are of the same fish 18 inches. The next two after that are the same 20inches, then theres the cuttie.

kunni

Attachments

• IMG_1693.jpg
    IMG_1693.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_1694.jpg
    IMG_1694.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_1696.jpg
    IMG_1696.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_1698.jpg
    IMG_1698.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_1700.jpg
    IMG_1700.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_1707.jpg
    IMG_1707.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_1710.jpg
    IMG_1710.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_1712.jpg
    IMG_1712.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_1717.jpg
    IMG_1717.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_1719.jpg
    IMG_1719.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 299
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice fish Buddy! Looks like a great day of activity prior to the storm just as my knowledge would have led me to believe!

I just wish you would have taken my advice on the catch and release mesh net! I think mine was 30$ and is alot better on the fish.

-KK

Back