Catch of the Day

Langford Rainbow

DSCF5099.jpg

Rainbow caught from shore on Jan 27 in Langford on a green Mister Twister under a float at about four feet deep. I didn't have a camera with me, so I didn't get a photo until I got home and some of the colour had faded.

About 20 inches long and weighed 3 lb. 4 oz.

It's got quite a hooked lower jaw.

When I cleaned it I came across two Power Bait setups (three linked Sunrise and one pink egg) and a separate hook.

Nice job! I was at langford this weekend but only managed a few small ones, thats a really great fish! good job!

Kunni

Nice job! I was at langford this weekend but only managed a few small ones, thats a really great fish! good job!

Kunni

Langford Lake? Or lake in Langford?

His fish looks like a broodstock fish. Im thinking more likely caught at a lake other than langford lake. Probably a lake in langford area. Maybe Lookout which just has 40 2.5-4.5 pounders dropped in on thursday.

nice fish!

Must have broke a few others off that wern't expecting it.

-KK

Langford Lake? Or lake in Langford?

His fish looks like a broodstock fish. Im thinking more likely caught at a lake other than langford lake. Probably a lake in langford area. Maybe Lookout which just has 40 2.5-4.5 pounders dropped in on thursday.

nice fish!

Must have broke a few others off that wern't expecting it.

-KK

I was at langford lake, but yes looking at that things tail it definitely could have been a brood. But at the same time, broke off two setups and had enough time to get both of them into the stomach makes me wonder if it might have been an earlier brood. I wonder when durrance is going to get some brood?

Fivespot, thats another nice 3-4ish pound fish, it has awesome fall colours to it!

Kunni

Last edited by a moderator:
actually 5.25 lbs and thick skinned and a terrible eater

Oh nice, the picture doesnt do it justice, larger than I thought!

Kunni

Looks like a lizard lake lunker to me

Ive had fish that size to the side of the boat in lizzard. Never landed them. Both had huge red stripes down the side. I guess im not the only one.

The only reason I said I diden't think it was Landford was teh tail. I've caught a few diploids in Langford aswell. Amazing they live so long considering it was 7 years ago the last time Diplods were stocked. Maybe reproducing somwhere???

-KK

Ive had fish that size to the side of the boat in lizzard. Never landed them. Both had huge red stripes down the side. I guess im not the only one.

The only reason I said I diden't think it was Landford was teh tail. I've caught a few diploids in Langford aswell. Amazing they live so long considering it was 7 years ago the last time Diplods were stocked. Maybe reproducing somwhere???

-KK

Most of the island lakes are stocked with Fraser Valley strain 3n rainbow. The males still exhibit secondary spawning characteristics and also produce non-functioning gonads. The other sterile strains produced by FFSBC are All Female (Blackwater, Pennask) so the fish remain silver and in good condition (the female 3n fish do not develop secondary sex characteristics). The Fraser Valley are the only product released at a catchable size and it is not cost-effective at this time to maintain an all female brood for this strain given the high catch rates in most of the locations these fish are stocked.

actually 5.25 lbs and thick skinned and a terrible eater

Those old stocked fish are not good table fare, I agree, probably because they have been caught a few times. I am not a fan of eating trout anyways, but to each their own and I respect that. That fish in the first photo looks like it was rode hard and put away wet for sure.

nice fish! Are you willing to disclose general location?

kunni

WTH is that thing?

Catch of the day.......
Took my girlfriend to the boat show and she won a course for 2 with dreamcatcher boats to build a kayak/rowboat hybrid! Score!

Edit: annnd of course its too good to be true! We get to build it with a group but we don't get to keep one. Someone in the course has the opportunity to purchase the boat we;ve made. Still going to be a cool experience but waaaahhhh

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished langford today, and it was better than it had been. I had 5 fish 12-15 inches, all on chironomids as there were some decent hatches throughout the day.

Kunni

DSC_0075.jpg

You cant fool us kunni.... You are fishing in Australia

hahaha, no idea why the picture was uploaded upside down :D

Kunni

Back