Catch of the Day

Size 3's man.......... Size 3's ;)

Sometimes the catch of the day will not be a fish and a picture is worth a thousand words.

Yeah, the rain and wind was making even a shot of the lake difficult to capture, not to mention lens fog. Hopefully I have success next time.

Kunni

hey im new to fly fishing but i want to troll a flie with sinking line at fuller lake soon and im wondering if someone can tell me what kind of flies to buy that would work good for trolling for rainbow trout this time of year?

hey im new to fly fishing but i want to troll a flie with sinking line at fuller lake soon and im wondering if someone can tell me what kind of flies to buy that would work good for trolling for rainbow trout this time of year?

I would be dragging micro leeches down deep if I went to fuller. Troll really slow or even wind drift. If you have a depth sounder you will see the fish concentrated in a layer or water called the thermocline or down along the bottom.

Try small black/red straight black with a gold bead head or an olive with copper head! Those are some of my goto's for this time of year.

Fished Elk lake last wednesday and lost 2 carp on the fly rod. No trout.

-KK

I would take KK's word for it, look back in this thread at some of the beast fish KK has caught ..the man has the rainbows number for sure :)

Chironomids will work. I was double anchored fishing boobies and chironomids and usually have success, guest not this time though. Like KK said the fish are deeper, its more about locating them than anything else. Trolling allows you to cover a greater area, hence it is more effective around know. I am not a huge fan of trolling flies (I trolled for a long time though), I prefer casting and retrieving as I find it more of a challenge but when the fishing is tough trolling can be an effective way to produce fish.

Kunni

Last edited by a moderator:
Chironomids will work. I was double anchored fishing boobies and chironomids and usually have success, guest not this time though. Like KK said the fish are deeper, its more about locating them than anything else. Trolling allows you to cover a greater area, hence it is more effective around know. I am not a huge fan of trolling flies (I trolled for a long time though), I prefer casting and retrieving as I find it more of a challenge but when the fishing is tough trolling can be an effective way to produce fish.

Kunni

so ide probs have better luck trolling a gang troll and wedding band im guessing?

No, Id still use flies. A black leech or similar is really tough to beat, even for winter. How many fly rods do you have? I would fish 2 rods both with flies. If you only have one fly rod put another fly down with a egg sinker on a 4ft leader on a spinning rod.

Kunni

empty your inbox islander55

Kunni

Damnit Admin.... You are spamming your own board now :D

Yea Lippy...I wouldn't want to miss out on all the fun! I started a Freshwater Video thread but thought the fly boys might like the Bass on the fly. Plus I am trying to stay out of the dreaded "H" conversation! ;) So far so good, and I will behave with my video placements!

Brian

I'll let ya slide this time ;)...

Yup the "H" threads remind me of the freshwater section of old..

i fishing fuller lake on sunday eveniung, got one fish around 2lbs. very slow for trolling though. was going to try and troll a fly around but i got to the lake around 3 and fished 2 hours before it was dark.

Jeez, second fish in the second picture, how many times did you hit that one on the head? Its eyes are about to pop out. :D

Kunni

Back