Capilano river BC Canada

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing Forum' started by Zubi45, May 24, 2020.

1. Zubi45

Zubi45 New Member

I heard that it's good salmon fishing under bridge in Capilano river BC Canada so how exactly do I get to this spot and where do I park?

2. jim morrow

jim morrow Member

Park at the Animal Hospital lot, run across 4 lanes of Capilano road, go down the stairs above the highway.

Downchild likes this.
  3. Zubi45

Zubi45 New Member

My friend tried fishing a few times already but no fish yet but I guess later will be better
    I heard you should wear life vest cause a few guys have drowned in past few years
    A guy drowned last year
    When fishing is good under bridge ---how good is fishing under bridge??

4. Pineapple Express

Pineapple Express Well-Known Member

The Cap River is a crazy fishery. It makes my head want to explode everytime I go. The close proximity to the city brings out a very interesting range of people and you will see LOTS of instances of wilful disregard for any rules/regulations. Littering is prolific. Using bait during the bait-ban time is commonplace. Those poor fish get every lure in the book thrown at them. Anyway, that doesn't quite answer your question...

You'll find that access to the river can be challenging in spots. The river runs in a steep rocky canyon from above the Hwy 1 bridge to the fish hatchery. The rocks can be slippery and fisherman slip and fall in to the river every year.

Fishing is dependant on the river flow and the ocean tides. The fish seem to move in pulses. At this time of year there can be an early run of small coho that arrive. Typically they are caught in pools at first light (at this time of year that's like 4:30am).

As @jim morrow mentioned you can access a spot under the Hwy 1 bridge by parking near the Chevron and finding the trail/stairs down to the river. I think that when the river level is up this spot kinda goes away but I don't tend to go there.

Most people congregate up at the Cable Pool which is just below the fish hatchery. There is a pedestrian bridge over the river there. Note that fishing is not allowed above the bridge.

My advice is this:
    1. use small flashy lures
    2. go for a walk and find spots to fish
    3. beware of the slippery rocks
    4. don't go if seeing the worst kind of fisherman behaviour will bother you (This is the reason I rarely go now).

Good luck!

Seasalt, Manolaki and jim morrow like this.
  5. Pineapple Express

The crew at Highwater Tackle on Lonsdale in NVan have nearly endless patience to help people with the Cap. They'll set you up with a few lures and some techniques and send you to a spot. Go spend a bit of money with them and get some info!

Manolaki and jim morrow like this.
  6. Dogbreath

Dogbreath Well-Known Member

Or a shopping cart-perfectly legal (!)

7. Revenge

Revenge Well-Known Member

I think you can only use shopping carts in the lower river ?

8. Kudu

Kudu Member

Fished Dog leg pool on Wednesday, say a couple fish get taken early (5am) then it switched off for the rest of the day

9. Pineapple Express

I saw a couple of guys walking down to the river around the Hwy 1 bridge this morning at 5:20am....I think you've gotta go earlier than that...like around first light for these fish

Last edited: May 29, 2020