Canning your catch

fish stalker

Have you ever canned salmon? I have been reading up on it and most say you need a pressure cooker. Have you done without? Basically just pack into jars an inch from the top and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 vinegar to soften the bones if you like? Not sure if it effects the taste? Cook for 3 hours?

I think I want to try. Will fillet and maybe skin.

I was thinking peppercorn, lemon peel, onion slice, garlic,ginger. A fresh herb mabey bay,rosemary,oregano or basil leaf? One or a few in the jar? Touch of soysauce..? Dash of old bay...

Didnt think I would need a pressure cooker. Any thoughts? :)

Definitely need a pressure canner. Also skin. I always scrape the meat off the bones through the season. Then freeze until end of season. Usually get over 20 pints from the scraps. If I remember right, have to pressure cook for about 100 minutes.
Tedg

Maybe this will help

For safe canning of salmon, please follow the directions carefully. Processing salmon in a pressure canner is essential to eliminate the risk of Botulism. Do not attempt to home can fish in 1 L jars; use 250 or 500 ml jars only.

Fresh salmon
Pickling Salt, optional

• Use properly eviscerated fish. Chill cleaned fish on ice or refrigerate until ready to can.

• To prepare salmon, remove and discard salmon head, tail and fins. Wash fish carefully, removing all blood. (If desired, remove skin and/or bones). Cut fish into pieces suitable for jars.

• Wash the required number of 250 or 500 ml jars. Set screw bands aside; heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep sealing discs hot until ready to use. NOTE: Do NOT heat jars prior to filling.

• Pack salmon tightly into a clean mason jar to within 1 inch (2.5 cm) of top rim (head space). If desired, add 1/2 tsp (2 ml) per 250 ml jar or 1 tsp (5 ml) pickling salt per 500 ml jar.

• Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim clean with a wet paper towel moistened with vinegar (clean rims are essential to good seals). Centre hot sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining salmon.

• As each jar is filled, set it on rack in the pressure canner. Arrange jars allowing space for steam to flow around jars. If stacking jars, place a second rack between layers of jars.

• When pressure canner is full, add room temperature water to level as directed by canner manufacturer. Lock canner lid in place and follow manufacturer’s heating instructions. Vent canner–allow steam to escape steadily–for 10 minutes; close vent.

• When canner reaches the pressure appropriate for your altitude* and type of pressure canner, begin counting processing time. Process – heat filled jars – 250 ml or 500 ml jars 100 minutes at 10 lb (69 kPa) in weighted gauge pressure canner. NOTE: processing times indicated are for a weighted gauge pressure canner used at altitudes up to 1,000 ft (305 m). When using a dial gauge pressure canner or canning at higher elevations, adjust pressure according to chart.

• When processing time is complete turn off heat. Allow canner to stand undisturbed until pressure drops to zero. Wait 2 minutes longer, and then remove cover, tilting it away from your face. Remove jars without tilting. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands. After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.

My wife and I have canned many hundreds of pounds of salmon and trout over the years. All we add is a little salt, no vinegar or water. Bones are always soft enough to mush up. We don't skin ours either. We process ours in a pressure canner for 1 hr 45 min at 10 psi pressure. This is at 3000 feet elevation. Time and pressure may be slightly different for you depending on elevation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I go real easy on the seasonings when canning. My preference is just kosher salt and grapeseed oil. I've never tried vinegar to soften bones as I usually just do fillets skin on, skin in with the little chine bones still in place. They are not even really noticeable in the finished product. A fave around here is steamed rice with nori seaweed on top, our own canned salmon and some ponzu sauce. Some minced green onion and voila'. Ready in no time!

We also can with a pressure cooker. We leave the skin on, use 1/2 tsp of vinegar and 1/4 tsp of salt for one pint. cook for 100 minutes with 10 pounds of pressure. Works everytime. Xena

Last edited by a moderator:
oh oh :eek: how about 7 1/2? :D

Thanks guys well I guess im buying a pressure cooker tomorrow!

Im growing a **** load of paste tomatoes this year esp for canning which ive never done. In reading canning articles I guess you have to use one for them anyway! Im nervous!

I just tried my first batch of pressure cooking/canning last year. I only made tuna but it was all good! I am looking for other recipes other than just plain canned.

Have you ever canned salmon? I have been reading up on it and most say you need a pressure cooker. Have you done without? Basically just pack into jars an inch from the top and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 vinegar to soften the bones if you like? Not sure if it effects the taste? Cook for 3 hours?

I think I want to try. Will fillet and maybe skin.

I was thinking peppercorn, lemon peel, onion slice, garlic,ginger. A fresh herb mabey bay,rosemary,oregano or basil leaf? One or a few in the jar? Touch of soysauce..? Dash of old bay...

Didnt think I would need a pressure cooker. Any thoughts?

Welcome to canning!

If you have never done any canning, I highly suggest before starting take the time and read about what you should and should not do. A good reference is the ‘USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning,’ 2009 revision, which I still personally use and check. It can be downloaded for free here:
http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html

NEVER-NEVER-NEVER use any recipe from anyone, including myself, or any internet website without checking making sure it is a proven recipe and really don’t care how many years someone has been using it. Just pretend you and your FAMILY life depends on it. It actually could, as if you are wrong someone can end up seriously ill and/or actually could DIE! It appears some might want to read the ‘Home Canning Guide 1 Principles of Home Canning’ on the above website. If you check the above, you may find for most fish with a “weighted” pressure canner, up to 1,000 feet, you need a minimum of 10 PSIG. Again, that is a weighted pressure canner up to 1,000 feet. Low-acid foods are not acidic enough to prevent the growth of the bacteria. Acid foods contain enough acid to block the growth, or destroy them more rapidly when heated. ALL low-acid foods should be pressure canned. Whether pressure canned or even in boiling-water it is to control botulinum bacteria and depends on the acidity of the food. The processing times are also to ensure you are killing the heat-resistant microorganisms. NEVER-NEVER-NEVER change any recipe, UNLESS you know exactly how adding and changing the ingredients changes the pH, which also changes the heat and processing requirements.

Lookie here, what the ‘Home Canning Guide 1 Principles of Home Canning’ on the above website actually states:

“Caution: All home-canned foods should be canned according to the procedures in this Guide. Low-acid and tomato foods not canned according to the recommendations in this publication or according to other USDA-endorsed recommendations present a risk of botulism. If it is possible that any deviation from the USDA-endorsed methods occurred, to prevent the risk of botulism, low-acid and tomato foods…”

“Proper canning practices include:
• carefully selecting and washing fresh food,
• peeling some fresh foods,
• hot packing many foods,
• adding acids (lemon juice or vinegar) to some foods,
• using acceptable jars and self-sealing lids,
• processing jars in a boiling-water or pressure canner for the correct period of time.

Fish being a low-acid food and you really do need to use the pressure canning method and can add any of those herbs and/or spices you want for flavoring. Remembering it's your taste you want to satisfy and you are the one eating it and – not me! If you add a whole lot of vinegar to the point it becomes "pickling" it still needs to preserved by using the “boiling-water” method. You don’t need to add any salt or vinegar for either method, except for flavoring. It is very uncommon and really no need to add vinegar, salt, or anything else when you use the pressure canning method. It is all about heat and processing time to kill that bacterium. When adding enough vinegar, you change the pH and don’t need the heat that builds up while pressure canning. e.g. canning beets (low-acid) you need to use the pressure canning method. When pickling beets by adding that 4 cups of vinegar, the boiling-water method can be used reducing the heat required.. Vinegar and/or salt is not needed except for flavoring when pressure canning.

I agree, the All American Pressure Canner is the way to go and mine is the Model 921 and HIGHLY recommend any of their pressure canners. Wouldn’t even think about putting that heaving thing on my glass stovetop. I grew up canning which is why I spent the money for this very good pressure canner. I remember quite well when a cheap pressure canner blew a gasket, then blew the lid off. Luckily the lid hit the ceiling and lid din’t hit anyone; however, my mother setting across the room received 2[SUP]nd [/SUP]degree burns from the hot liquid that bounced off the ceiling. Not a pretty site, so do suggest going ahead and biting the bullet to buy a good one. When you die it will still be around for your kids to use. STAY COMPLETELY AWAY FROM CHEAP PRESSURE CANNERS!

I quit canning in the kitchen years ago and do all my canning in the garage, right at the edge of my overhead door where there is plenty of ventilation, using a portable outdoor propane cooker, which works way better than any kitchen range. Plus, it doesn’t heat the house or if that lid blows off, the lid and all contents will go straight up in the air

Under processing times and you stand a very good chance of not killing all the bacteria. Over processing you simply will ruin both the texture and flavor. For all you canning salmon, I certainly would be using: Raw Pack Pints, 100 minutes, weighted-gage pressure canner, at 10 PSI, from 0-1,000 feet and Raw Pack Quarts, 160 minutes, weighted-gage pressure canner, at 10 PSI, from 0-1,000 feet. Concerning the processing QUARTS of salmon, I might suggest reading the above reference and point out the following:

“Processing Change for Quart Jars: The directions for operating the pressure canner during processing of quart jars are different from those for processing pint jars, so please read the following carefully. It is critical to product safety that the processing directions are followed exactly. When you are ready to process your jars of fish, add 3 quarts of water to the pressure canner. Put the rack in the bottom of canner and place closed jars on the rack. Fasten the canner cover securely, but do not close the lid vent. Heat the canner on high for 20 minutes. If steam comes through the open vent in a steady stream at the end of 20 minutes, allow it to escape for an additional 10 minutes. If steam does not come through the open vent in a steady stream at the end of 20 minutes, keep heating the canner until it does. Then allow the steam to escape for an additional 10 minutes to vent the canner. This step removes air from inside the canner so the temperature is the same throughout the canner. The total time it takes to heat and vent the canner should never be less than 30 minutes. The total time may be more than 30 minutes if you have tightly packed jars, cold fish, or larger sized canners. For safety’s sake, you must have a complete, uninterrupted 160 minutes (2 hours and 40 minutes) at a minimum pressure required for your altitude. Write down the time at the beginning of the process and the time when the process will be finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for continuing to provide such informative, safety conscious, and well referenced posts Charlie. Did you get a chance to fish in BC this year?

Thanks for continuing to provide such informative, safety conscious, and well referenced posts Charlie. Did you get a chance to fish in BC this year?
You're welcome and thanks!
Nope - Not yet; however, am thinking about next week?
Cheers

Great information thank you!

Yes I see lots of pressure cookers around but not pressure canners. I think the difference being other then canner are usually larger is the there in no gauge on cookers to tell what the pressure is. Is there only setting on cookers? Seems odd. Mabey its just low med or high and they dont tell you what those are. Do any of you use pressure cookers? Or know any stores that sell proper canners? Im thinking Capital Iron... I do see a small pressure cooker on sale right now at CT and was thinking of buying it just to try.

I bought mine at Capital Iron. Bought the biggest one they had, about 16"-18" high. Has a big gauge on the top and wing nuts to hold the lid on. Can't remember the price but thinking about $250, but I may be wrong on that. Great Pressure cooker though.

yup I was down there today they are the only ones I have found who have a pressure canner. To bad because the one at ct is on half price and on for 29 at ld tomorrow. Looks like it has weights, a high and low. The low being 8.75 and high 15. salmon it seems what you want is 10. There are no instruction for canning in any of the boxs I opened at Canadian tire or walmart. The american walmart site has tons of good ones for a reasonable price too.

Ive been skipping so much work lately to fish :p so Im not feeling like I can spend the big bucks it would take to get one.

Still trying to figure if I can make a small one work safely.

I've had a Presto 18 Ltr. for over 20 years without a problem. Although I believe the Americans are good as well. An 18 ltr. Presto will can at least 24 250 ml jars. It has the old wobbly top which was a little bit of a science but once mastered produced great results. I remember going to China Creek and hearing nothing but wobbly top canners all over the place. That has since been disallowed. Poor Yanks.;)

Home Hardware has a Presto 21.8 litre pressure canner on sale right no for 129.97, regularly 154.99. States it holds 20 pint or 7 quart jars.

GJ

Home Hardware has a Presto 21.8 litre pressure canner on sale right no for 129.97, regularly 154.99. States it holds 20 pint or 7 quart jars.

GJ

Yup picked it up a few days ago after shopping around. Best bang for your buck. Not many places carry them anymore. Did my first batch today. Skinned and deboned, smoked for an hour, packed in half pint jars with a pinch of salt and a 1/2 teaspoon of oil I thought I needed because of the lack of skin. 11 pound psi for 100 mins. Will try tommorw on the boat and let you know how it is!

Back