Canning smoked salmon

Each canner is a little different - read the directions in the book.

Once the weight reaches a full rattle I let it cook for 30 minutes - that's enough to seal the jar. And I put a tablespoon of oil in each jar.

I have taken hot smoked salmon and added to fresh salmon in the same jar in varing proportions, up to 100% smoked salmon in the jar, and then canned it like any other salmon in a pressure cooker. The non-smoked salmon takes on the smoke flavor when mixing fresh with smoke.

I have found that canning smoked salmon intensifies the smoke flavour to the point that it can become inedible. With my little chief smoker I have found that one pan of chips and about 1 and a half hours is just about right. I then pull off the skin, fill the jars and proccess in a pressure cooker at 10 pounds for 100 minutes. Yum!

If it's your intention from the offset to can your salmon smoked. Do not smoke as heavily or dry as much as the smoke flavours can become bitter and the salmon quite dry in the canning process.;) eman

I tried many ways to can smoked salmon with varying degrees of success. Invariably the product was dryer than my regular canned salmon so we loved the flavour but it was not the greatest for salmon sandwhiches etc. Now we just add a few drops of liquid smoke into each jar of regular salmon prior to canning-it has the flavour but not the dryness and a lot less trouble.

I have tried to can hot smoked salmon, but the flavour is so strong I found it hard to eat. But if you want canned salmon with smoky flavour, try smoking raw salmon chunks (not brined or cured) for about 30-45 minutes in a Little Chief, then can it.

The DIY types in the world are to be admired; normally I am one of them.
I tried doing my own but now drop fillets off in south Nanaimo and get them back a couple of weeks later in cans that even have a pull tab!
Tastes great and really easy open ;)
The only drawback is the invoice...
Smiley.

OK it's super easy cut your fillets into strips that will fit in your jars, smoke them without brining in your smoker for one hour one smoke, that't it then can the filets put a little salt in each jar and you have delicious smoked canned salmon the fresher the fish the more tender juicy flaky the final product, got this recipe the one and only Cube Libre a couple years ago and I've done a couple batches turns out great alot better than the st jeans liquid smokey salty stuff.

Mods, Please move to Recipes, Storage and Preparation of Seafood section

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Back