canning halibut

juandesooka

I am new to canning salmon. First batch over xmas nearly used up. I like the flavour (especially the smoked salmon / regular salmon mix), but really like the convenience...no defrosting or cooking if you want a quick snack.

So...wanted to try expanding the experiment to halibut...more convenience than anything to use up the fish in the freezer. Numerous internet sources have said not to do it because the halibut will dry out and be gross. But what the heck...

I did several combinations, all with a tablespoon of olive oil added to a medium size jar (to combat drying it out).

Halibut and smoked salmon: added about 1/4 of can SS, to infuse smoked flavour to hali. Tried first can, worked out well...tastes smokey, fairly moist. Not as moist as canned salmon but reasonable.

Rest still to taste...will post results as the cans are opened.

Half halibut and half salmon

Halibut with dill and garlic

Halibut with thai chili sauce

Mmmm :D

Update:

Halibut with dill and garlic: a little bland and oily, but the good news is, definitely not dried out. Very edible, but needs more flavour. I used the small jelly jars, with 1 tbsp oil...probably could use half that. I put in maybe 1/4 clove garlic, 3 or 4 shakes of dill...could double or more both. Adding lemon juice or lemon zest even better would give a bit of zing, take the oil edge off.

Halibut with thai chili sauce: most excellent! About a half teaspoon chili sauce (and that stuff is HOT). Fish is quite spicy, but not burn your mouth insane. Very tasty, not dried out, not too oily tasting (though same amount of oil as above.

Halibut/salmon mix: taste test coming soon.

But all in all, positive results, experiment a success!

Mmmm :D
[/quote]

quote:Originally posted by C.S.

I canned up ling,hally and yelloweye last year and they are all the $hits.Maybe I'll try again with the chili sauce.

Hi CS

Did you add oil to the halibut? I think that's the key to keeping it moist. I also think you need to add some flavour if you plan to eat it straight out of the jar -- or if not, makes a good base for a variety of cooking uses, but need to count on some flavour to go with it.

I figure halibut's like the tofu of fish...takes on whatever flavour you're cooking it with.

In another thread, someone suggested adding some crab meat...the flavour of the crab should infuse through the halibut (like they do for pollock to make artificial crab). They called it "poor man's lobster" with cod and a lobster claw; with halibut prices, this is "rich man's crab".

Most important point here...my wife is now taking cans of fish to work for lunch, which means we are using up our fish more effectively, which means more encouragement to go fishing to get more....that's called STRATEGY!

:D

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/juandesooka

quote:Originally posted by juandesooka

I figure halibut's like the tofu of fish...takes on whatever flavour you're cooking it with.

This sounds like it could be a good idea, How much crab do you need compared to halibut? About 25% crab and 75% halibut? I know halibut is expensive but it sure could make crab go a lot farther in your dishes.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

quote:Originally posted by Sea Ranger

Originally posted by juandesooka

This sounds like it could be a good idea, How much crab do you need compared to halibut? About 25% crab and 75% halibut? I know halibut is expensive but it sure could make crab go a lot farther in your dishes.

I haven't done it, just read about it on another thread. With my smoked salmon - halibut mix, it used about 1/4 to 1/3 and the flavour mixed nicely. But crab is more delicate, so not sure if that would work? Will give it a go once the crabbing starts again...

Liquid smoke would work just don't use too much, Woodland is what I like it's 100% natural no sugar or artificial flavouring like some brands.

Available all over the place bottle might look a little different.

7000003_Large.jpg

billreidsalmon.jpg

Back