canned salmon

Degree of Freedom

anyone got any good recipes that use canned salmon?...my family is not big on eating canned salmon, and I still have 30+ cans in the cupboard from 2009.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Salmon melts-a tad of mayo/onion mixed with the mashed canned Salmon plopped on top of a fresh white bun covered in mild white cheese and broiled to perfection.

Add a few drops of Woodland Liquid Smoke to any canned Salmon recipe.

Crumble a can over hot steaming pasta.

Google salmon cakes. Good with leftover mashed potato. Look for recipes that add egg, green onion, mayo and spices.
Mix with salmon and coat patties in breadcrumbs. Fry and serve with tartar or dill sauce.

Tasty one: Chipotle Salmon Salad

Open one jar of canned salmon. Pour out liquid and place in bowl.
Finely dice some red onion and a half a stalk of celery, approx 1 tablespoon of each.
Add 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise.
Add 1 tablespoon of diced chipotle peppers (hint: use canned, then put leftovers in an ice cube tray, freeze them, and then place in a ziploc...ready to go for next meal).
Add juice of one quarter lime.
Stir and serve ... as a sandwich or on crackers.

Or as Tortuga says, Salmon Cakes or Salmon Burgers are a good bet. Pretty much same combination as above, just leave out the mayo and add some egg to hold it together.

Or if you're looking to use it up and family doesn't care for salmon flavour, you could hide it in some Thai curry or in some soup. Or you could make a big batch of chili and add it...just more chunks in the mix, flavour likely won't overpower it.

;)Hey Dan: I'm sure there are a few variations on this dish. This is one that I think is fine.

Creamed Peas and Salmon on Toast

1 or 2 Tins of Sockeye Salmon (chunked)
1 1/2 cups of frozen peas (thawed)
1 small onion (diced)
1 clove of garlic (minced)
1 tsp. ginger ( minced)
1/4 cup white wine
1 tsp. basil etc.
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
2 Tbsp. White Four
2 Tbsp. Margerine ( or butter)
1 1/2 to two cups of milk to thicken

Heat pan on medium high heat and add margerine, onions and sautee, include garlic, add flour and stir to cook (use a bit of wine or water if it binds) then add milk in intervals to thicken. Add peas, cook and stir. Add chunked Salmon, (smoked Salmon is good as well). Cook and stir until thickened. Toast bread or buns and layer with mixture.

;) eman

Last edited by a moderator:
Back