Canned Moose meat.. need a recipe

Islandgirl

Just came back from a very sucessful moose hunt. I had canned moosemeat as a kid (wont say how old I am!) I am hoping to make up some. Anyone have a good recipe they would be willing to share?

62802394477903127812153.jpg

I do not know of any recipe other than a bit of salt pork and some onion and a dash of your favorite BBQ sauce. I am also watching for any other input as I also have a nice young moose of which I want to can some.
I tried your idea of brandy with the salmon when canning and also tried maple syrop,lemon dill sauce, port wine,and horse radish. Found all to be very good.[8D][8D]

IMG_1445.jpg

I took the shanks which are full of sinew and put them in cans with a slice of salt pork [thin] and some onion,garlic pepper, a dash of worcestershire sauce a teaspoon of Gordo's teriyaki sauce and pressure cooke the cans at 10psi for 1hr 50 min.
They came out very tender and no sinew, quite tastey.[^][^]

IMG_1445.jpg

Well I bottled my first moosie ..so here is the feedback so far. I will comment on other flavors as I try them
moose with teriyaki.. awesome..! about 1 TBSpn
moose with bovril ..very good I like the above better though
mooose with curry powder.... did not really like.. but really like salmon with curry powder..GO figure!

Just tried the Bacon, bayleaf and Garlic jar... AWESOME..I ate the whole jar...couldnt stop...LOL

What did you put in the Jar for Liquid? if any? sounds good might try some! ratio of Bacon to meat? The teriyaki one sounds awesome as well.........

I only added 1/3 of a strip of bacon, 1/2 tsp red wine. It makes its own gravy. I just opened a jar with Tandoori sauce from superstore.. very good too. I think that some worchester sauce may be good? Maybe the next batch

Islandgirl:
Question on your canned Moose Meat?
What size of jars-pint or Quart ?
Do you packjars with raw meat or slightly browned in fry pan ?
Pressure Canner time -10 lbs @ hour and half ?

Any helpwould be great

Yours in Moose Meat
KANOOK

HI Kanook
I use both 250ml jars and 500ml jars in the same load 95 minutes at 10lbs
I only use raw meat in the jars and everyone loves it.
Always add some salt unless your teriyaki sauce very salty
For the bacon ones I only add 1/4 of a strip, a bit of liquid smoke is good too.
Last time we added greek salad dressing and it was very good.
As a rule 1 tbspn sauce for a 250 ml jar.
If you have any more questions just pm me

ig

Back