Candy Salmon

treblig

It’s that time again to make some candied salmon. I have a long history of smoking fish and meat, creating various lox salmon but a better history in dehydration. What I believe is true candy salmon is not moist, dry like a jerky but full of exploding flavors as your chewing and saliva start to soften the salmon. This type of cure is obtained through dehydration.

Today ’s dehydrator market selection all has the same issues. Temperatures are not always consistently accurate, hot spots, cold spots, and uneven air movement. I have in the past having to exchange tray levels to adjust the unevenness and moving fish from the back of trays to the front of trays.

Finally last year I bought a commercial dehydrator that has 24 racks, temperature digital control, and digital timer. The vents allow the units to be 100% even in air movement. It was expensive but I have cured fishes, meats, and fruits and can’t believe how accurate it is. When you see this dehydrator photo you will know where to get it.

This year I have changed my favorite recipe. I have resisted on using liquid smoke in the past. Not sure why but I think it was that I wanted the flavors to come from the spices. As a human, we hate change when we become comfortable. A friend gave me a batch he made similar to my recipe using soy sauce for the salt, maple syrup, and brown sugar. He added liquid smoke to the brine. I could not believe the flavors that exploded in my mouth. So adding to my recipe is applewood liquid smoke. I tasted the brine after warming it up on the stove …. WOW. Let's hope the finish product tastes is the same. I deleted the sesame oil as I didn't want its strong flavor to compete with the liquid applewood smoke. The last photo is from an original batch when I also made lox. The photo shows the salmon with a hard glaze and dry….. yum yum

The batch of salmon was huge so I made 5x the measurements and added 1/2 gallon of water. I warmed it up on the stove adding 2 tbsp of liquid smoke. Then allowed the brine to cool. I gently hand mixed the salmon until all pieces were thoroughly covered. They will sit in the brine for two days. The dehydrator set at 130 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 days.

Recipe for about 7 pounds: Never hurts to make lots of extra brine.

1 cup of light soy sauce ( light soy is the saltiest)

1 cup of brown sugar

1/2 cup of granulated sugar (if not used increase the maple syrup another 1/4 cup)

lots of garlic powder

2 teaspoons of lemon pepper (always add extra)

1/4 cup maple syrup

Attachments

• P3060132.jpg
    P3060132.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 144
  • P4170007 2.jpeg
    P4170007 2.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 149
  • P9050173.jpg
    P9050173.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 144
  • PB260002.jpeg
    PB260002.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 138
  • P3060131.jpg
    P3060131.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Looking Very Good Buddy!
Right looking forward to seeing & hearing your assessment of the "new" product!

Cheers,
Nog

... How did your smoked sausages turn out?

Awesome as usual! :)

Spent a LOT of time on Candy this fall.
And still have a whack of springs to do just that with as well.
Although I do very much enjoy your product, the stuff I make is considerably softer.
As I recall, that didn't hold you back much at our last gathering! LOL

Be more sausages to come. Have a stash of elk, blacktail and headed out for late season whitetails (bow) very soon now.
Suspect the big smoker will be puffing away again shortly after that...

Cheers,
Nog

Your salmon was irresistible IronNoggin. My only complaint is I wanted more .... The Volume of salmon took up 14 trays. I set the temperature at 130 degrees for 24 hours. I changed the recipe by adding 2 tablespoons of liquid smoked apple. I think next time it will be three. I normally set the dehydrator to 110 degrees for 24 hours but I thought the volume would be better at 130 degrees. The salmon came out dryer but still good. Like jerky salmon. The salmon had a very light smoky flavor but I think it would be better stronger.
The buckleys was the secret ingredient..... Just kidding

PB300001.jpeg

Looks tasty. Thanks for the share!
I have the same unit, going to try your candy recipe.

How is the tray cleanup after?
Do you think if the dry time was reduced somewhat the product would be a bit juicier ?

That batch was hard as jerky which is what I wanted. I do shorten the drying time if I want more moisture. I am very lucky to have farmers sink. The trays sit in perfectly flat and I soak them then brush them off. I spray the racks before using them with oil. I keep the dehydrator very clean so I will put parchment paper on the bottom to collect all the drippings. makes life a lot easier. I just did a batch of mangos. they lasted only two days. The Mrs bought another flat for me to process.P2170001.jpeg

Last edited:
Back