Canadian compliance notice

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hi All,

I was filling out my Application for Pleasure Craft License form for my newly imported boat, when I noticed that it asks about a "Canadian compliance notice". I know there is one from the US coast guard but I don't think it says anything about Canada. Have any of you who have imported a boat had this issue and what did you do to get a "Canadian compliance notice" or do I even need one?

Capt

Compliance Notices

Compliance Notices are the manufacturer’s or importer’s confirmation that the vessel is built in accordance with the construction requirements of the Small Vessel Regulations. Before attaching a Compliance Notice to a vessel, a manufacturer or importer must produce a Declaration of Conformity for the vessel.

The Small Vessel Regulations require, with a few exceptions, that all pleasure craft of less than 24 metres, that are or can be fitted with a motor have a Compliance Notice affixed to them in a location visible from the helm.

Although it is not prohibited to have other types of compliance notices affixed to the vessel, this does not replace the requirement to have a Canadian Compliance Notice attached.

Compliance notices for pleasure craft up to 6 m (19’8”) also have information on recommended maximum safe limits. These recommended maximum safe limits will tell you:

what outboard motor sizes are safe;
how many people can be on board; and
how much weight the boat can hold.

Remember that this information applies only in good weather. The number of people who can be carried safely depends on the type of boat, where people and equipment are carried, and weather and water conditions. Operators must know and respect their boat’s limits.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp-tp511-getstarted-1331.htm#compliance_notices

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_noticesfaq-307.htm

The requirement to attach a Compliance Notice does not apply in the following case:

a vessel that is constructed or imported by an individual for their personal use;

I think your boat will have a compliance notice - sticker - attached near the helm. It will have similar information to the Canadian one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

I was filling out my Application for Pleasure Craft License form for my newly imported boat, when I noticed that it asks about a "Canadian compliance notice". I know there is one from the US coast guard but I don't think it says anything about Canada. Have any of you who have imported a boat had this issue and what did you do to get a "Canadian compliance notice" or do I even need one?

Capt

HI Capt,

I imported my 21' Striper in Feb 2011, From the USA .
I reviewed my APPLICATION FOR PLEASURE CRAFT LICENCE form (Form; 84-0172 (0712-03)).
The only place on the form that noted COMPLIANCE was in section "C" that being " COMPLIANCE LABEL NUMBER", not specifying Canadian or other, so I only put the USA number.
I sent it in and must have done everything right because it came back later with my new Pleasure Craft Licence (and it took awhile to get it too).
Are u using the same form, form (Form ; 84-0172 (0712-03)) ?
Remember to tick off TRANSFER and not a NEW, even if the vessel had a usa number ! thats what I was advised to do and it worked fine.
Good luck your almost there !
Clint

Last edited by a moderator:
Call Searay in the US part of Brundswick corp.They are or were dealing with what is left over from trophy as trophies are finished for now.Just tell them what you need and they should send it for 5$ plus shipping or maybe I had to call a dealer and they order it. One or the other call M and P mercury I may have gotten mine there.Was a little hassle as the trophy line had been discontinued.

Hi All,

. I know there is one from the US coast guard but I don't think it says anything about Canada.

Capt

It looks like Capt boat has the USA compliance on his vessel so no need to have a Canadian one on it, I think he was just quesitoning what to note on the Pleasure Craft Lics.
No need to have a Canadian Comp Sticker in boat to get the PC Lics , at least I didnt have one when I imported my boat and got my PC Lics.
Good Luck Capt
Clint
In fact I still dont have the Canadian Comp Sticker

Back