Canada exempts $110M more of U.S. imports from retaliatory tariffs

I hope this is true, I'm importing a boat in about a month. I'll be crossing the border this weekend and will go in and ask if a glass boat with outboards is now exempt and will report back.

I google searched 8903.99.90 OTHER and come up with the following;

- - - - -Of an overall length not exceeding 9.2 m:
NMB 11 - - - - - -Outboard motorboats, metal, of a length not exceeding 5 m ...............
NMB 12 - - - - - -Outboard motorboats, metal, of a length exceeding 5 m .....................
NMB 13 - - - - - -Outboard motorboats, of reinforced plastics, of a length not exceeding
5 m .......................................................................................................
NMB 14 - - - - - -Outboard motorboats, of reinforced plastics, of a length exceeding
5 m............................................................................................
NMB15 - - - - - -Canoes.................................................................................................
NMB 16 - - - - - -Rowboats .............................................................................................
NMB 19 - - - - - -Other ....................................................................................................
NMB 20 00- - - - -Of an overall length exceeding 9.2 m.....................................................

Here is the original link if you want to go in and click and then CTRL-F the tariff code;

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2013/01-99/ch89-2013-eng.pdf

Looks like it's 2013 so there maybe a newer one, however it seems to be to suggest that all outboard boats, weather FRP (Fiberglass), Metal (assume aluminum alloy), of all lengths (thanks to sub-class NMB 12, 14, and 20) are granted relief from the tariff.

These reliefs are listed in Schedule 4 of the Canada doc as linked above;

https://www.fin.gc.ca/access/tt-it/rcsa-rcmaa-eng.asp

Now what's interesting is the Canadian governments' wording in this April 19 2019 document. Here they say;

"
  • For goods in Schedule 4, relief is granted for an indefinite period for other goods imported from the U.S. on or after July 1, 2018, subject to applicable conditions, as provided in the Remission Order.

"

So if I was someone who had imported between July 1, 2018 and now, I would be contacting my customs brokers to apply to get my 10% import tariff back retroactively.

Not surprised customs knows nothing about it. This was all done on the hush hush by the government because they didn’t want people to know they were easing the retaliation tariffs on the states. I had to do the research myself to try and find out if boats are now exempt. I also saw that it looks like you could get refunded if you paid the tariffs. I honestly don’t even know who you could contact to confirm, maybe ministry of finance?

It's over.... deal reached today. No one wins in a trade war but we got what we asked for, the US, not so much.

The us got millions in tariffs and a new NAFTA. And continue to collect billions in tarriffs from other countries.

I wish Canada was as strong with our trade and resources.

The us got millions in tariffs and a new NAFTA. And continue to collect billions in tarriffs from other countries.

I wish Canada was as strong with our trade and resources.

The tariffs that the US collected were paid at the border by the importer and passed on to the customer. Think of it as a tax. No one wins in a trade war but by most accounts Canada came out ahead on this one.

Finally heard today,I don't get my money back,their not going to backdate the relief from the tariff that I paid last August.They told me only boats brought across after April/2019 will be exempt.Daaaammmm,I was hoping to pay my house taxes with it.

Back