Canada.com poll

victoriaboater

Im sure many of you already recieved this in your email.

For those that havent....

Hello

The Courier Islander paper in Campbell River is asking for us to vote again, this time to on whether or not we think the two Grieg fish farm applications in Johnstone Strait should be approved or not. They are two of the largest fish farm applications made on this coast and will be placed opposite one another in a narrow channel where it meets Johnstone Strait. In years when there is warm water off shore 1/3 of all BC wild salmon will pass these farms on route to their southcoast rivers. In spring millions of juvenile salmon will have to run through or along these farms to reach open water.

The two most vulnerable moments in a salmon’s life are saltwater entry and seawater entry and these farms and the many farms east of them expose a significant percent of BC’s wild salmon to whatever pathogens are in the farms from sea lice to viruses.

No other feedlots are allowed to come into such close contact with wild species and no other farmers in Canada are allowed to never deal with their wastes and simply release them into one of Canada’s most valuable fishery.

Despite the science and resistance form local communities, the same three Norwegian companies just keep applying for more and bigger fish farms in BC.

The voting box is on the upper right hand side of the page at
http://www2.canada.com/courierislander/index.html

The public has never been given this opportunity to voice its opinion such before format.

If you have not done so please sign my letter (www.adopt-a-fry.org) asking that the Fisheries Act be applied to fish farms as it is to all other marine activities. If there are enough people raising their voices reason will be brought to bear on this situation. The solution is simple apply the laws of Canada, support the Canadian fish farmers who want to reinvent their industry on land and restore the wild salmon using their own remarkable biology.

Alexandra Morton

Hey VB,

The public was invited to voice its support or concerns at public hearings held in Sayward, by the SRD. To say that the public never gets its say is misleading. This CI poll has no bearing on the SRD board, or the outcome of the Re Zoning.

The applications are not the largest nor are they in a narrow channel. Morton is again displaying her ability to spin the truth.

BTW what does Morton mean by

"The two most vulnerable moments in a salmon’s life are saltwater entry and seawater entry..."

Aren't saltwater and seawater the same thing?

Morton spinning the truth you say?

You really expect people to take you - THE KING OF SPIN-DOCTOR'S ON THIS FORUM - seriously?

Like the net-pen business you, too, will fade-away...

Nah LH, I'm like a bad rash, I keep coming back to fight the forces of spin from you and the likes of Morton.

Have a look at a map, the sites in no way block the channel. I would not describe it as narrow. If you knew anything about mooring a sea pen operation you would realise that the area is required to have enough scope on the anchor lines to hold the system The actual pen occupy less than 5% of the toal area. Of course being a boater you know all about anchor line acope, right?

quote:Originally posted by sockeyefry

Nah LH, I'm like a bad rash, I keep coming back to fight the forces of spin from you and the likes of Morton.

Have a look at a map, the sites in no way block the channel. I would not describe it as narrow. If you knew anything about mooring a sea pen operation you would realise that the area is required to have enough scope on the anchor lines to hold the system The actual pen occupy less than 5% of the toal area. Of course being a boater you know all about anchor line acope, right?
What about plumes of sea lice emigrating from those farms, sockeyefry?

Would those plumes "block the channel" - creating a gauntlet that juvie salmon have to cross?

Plumes of lice? OMG such drama. I figured they would be described as hordes, but plumes is so much more descriptive being that they are so small.

Do you even know what Grieg agreed to at the public hearing? What kind of management plan or operational restrictions they suggested?

Juvie salmon run all sorts of gauntlets both natural and man made. Why is it only salmon farms in which we have such an interest in changing?

"We" - and that does not include you or the rest of the industry apologists and crooked-politicians in bed with the industry - want to see change because the net-pen business is the NUMBER #1 most doable instant-fix to bring some much needed respite to several of our beleaguered Pacific Salmon populations.

But I've said this before and you've heard it a million times from others and you could care less as long as the industry thrives and the $$$ keeps flowing back to Norway.

THE DAY WILL COME!

Very intelligent response Sockeyefry, but only time will tell.

I think the majority of people on this forum would think that if you are a betting man, don't bet that open net pens will be around 10 years from now.

Long live wild salmon!!!

Back