Can you use bobbers/floats with lights?

Greetings,

I had an ... uhm "discussion" with a guy about the legality of bobbers with built in lights for river fishing. Any thoughts? I couldn't make out the regs on this. I understood that you could have a light source within 1m of your hook in salt water, but couldn't shine a light on the water to attract fish.

How does the bobber light fit in?

Alex

well that is a great question,n i wish i could anser that but i cant. but i use to tie a 1"inch glow stick on to my float n nothin was ever said,but then again it was a glow not a light.i hope someone can anser that for ya,now you have me intrested in the correct anser..lol the wonderer

well that is a great question,n i wish i could anser that but i cant. but i use to tie a 1"inch glow stick on to my float n nothin was ever said,but then again it was a glow not a light.i hope someone can anser that for ya,now you have me intrested in the correct anser..lol the wonderer

You guys got me thinking so I checked the Freshwater Fishing Regulations Synopsis. On page 9 it says "It is unlawful to use a light in any manner to attract fish, unless the light is submerged and attached to the fishing line within 1 m of the hook".

Does this fishing regulation also relate to glow sticks (as mentioned by the wonderer) and glow in the dark lures and bobbers?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe any device powered by battery, fuel, or fire that emits a light source is illegal. Now glow sticks and glow in the dark objects really don't fit that category so are they legal? Moderator any suggestions to this topic?

You guys got me thinking so I checked the Freshwater Fishing Regulations Synopsis. On page 9 it says "It is unlawful to use a light in any manner to attract fish, unless the light is submerged and attached to the fishing line within 1 m of the hook".

Does this fishing regulation also relate to glow sticks (as mentioned by the wonderer) and glow in the dark lures and bobbers?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe any device powered by battery, fuel, or fire that emits a light source is illegal. Now glow sticks and glow in the dark objects really don't fit that category so are they legal? Moderator any suggestions to this topic?

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one confused by this question.

A lit bobber (glow or dim, just enough to show up against the dark) is not being used to attract fish. But, it IS above the water line and the regs specify that you can only use it if submerged within 1m of hook.

BTW steelrainbow, if it IS within 1m of the hook, of-course it would attract fish! The writing seems to contradict itself.

I think that after all this discussion ... I'll just sleep in 'til light!

Alex

A lit bobber (glow or dim, just enough to show up against the dark) is not being used to attract fish. But, it IS above the water line and the regs specify that you can only use it if submerged within 1m of hook.

BTW steelrainbow, if it IS within 1m of the hook, of-course it would attract fish! The writing seems to contradict itself.

Alex

Alex

Back