Can someone share how to make smoked canned salmon

saanauk

Anyone willing to share how to make smoked canned salmon strips? Have not been able to find directions.

Looking for something like this:

04049621-3CD8-4C60-BC1B-64C3514BBE7B.jpeg

Someone gave me a jar of smoked strips of sockeye salmon packed in a light oil, salmon had a char to it like a seared steak
the flavour was unreal and moist, didn't know the person, really wanted the jarring process, i wonder if it's just smoke and pack
in oil, no steam seal... look forward to someones process

As I am sitting here with my other half who loves her canning of jams I was curious; can you jar fish in the same manner without a pressure cooker?

She says the jam contents go in the jar warm/hot and as they cool they create the seal due to contraction. If using a pressure cooker as I am reading online it is going to cook the fish regardless so you need heat and perhaps her jamming method would work?

Totally new to this whole thing but wifey is 'jammed up' (horrible pun) that I am thinking of getting involved with the canning process as normally when she does it with her gal pals I go to the pub and watch sports and drink beer with my buddies. ;)

As I am sitting here with my other half who loves her canning of jams I was curious; can you jar fish in the same manner without a pressure cooker?

She says the jam contents go in the jar warm/hot and as they cool they create the seal due to contraction. If using a pressure cooker as I am reading online it is going to cook the fish regardless so you need heat and perhaps her jamming method would work?

Totally new to this whole thing but wifey is 'jammed up' (horrible pun) that I am thinking of getting involved with the canning process as normally when she does it with her gal pals I go to the pub and watch sports and drink beer with my buddies. ;)
Like @Reeltime said it's probably more like a cured salmon packed in oil. Much like us WOPs do with sausage. I think if there's enough salt and not too much moisture you can just keep it covered in oil and yur gtg. Not sure if it's shelf stable once opened though. We buy jars of pork sausage from Colombus Meats that way but I usually refrigerate after opening.

Like @Reeltime said it's probably more like a cured salmon packed in oil. Much like us WOPs do with sausage. I think if there's enough salt and not too much moisture you can just keep it covered in oil and yur gtg. Not sure if it's shelf stable once opened though. We buy jars of pork sausage from Colombus Meats that way but I usually refrigerate after opening.
There is very little liquid in the jars so I don’t think it is packed in oil.

There is very little liquid in the jars so I don’t think it is packed in oil.
Was it refrigerated when you got it? I don't see how you can keep that shelf stable unless it's cooked to temp or void of any moisture. Or so candied it's made of sugar. That stuff looks great so I too would like to know what the hell that is.

Not first hand knowledge. But I have a buddy who’s family does canned smoked. I believe they lightly smoke(like half way) then can with a pressure cooker. It’s deadly. Super moist. He guards his stash

Not first hand knowledge. But I have a buddy who’s family does canned smoked. I believe they lightly smoke(like half way) then can with a pressure cooker. It’s deadly. Super moist. He guards his stash
There's been several threads on that method already. This is something different it seems. And you're right I only do mine that way now. It's amazing.

Anyone willing to share how to make smoked canned salmon strips? Have not been able to find directions.

Looking for something like this:

View attachment 48078

Maybe pic above if it's not yours is before they pressure cooked it, a before pic, after in the pressure cooker it would turn pink or brown
instead of the raw look...

The link below shows something that didn't get pressure cooked, just straight up oil, cured then packed, so smoked looks like
it would be the same, but i would probably use a neutral oil like grape seed... may give try on a next batch
https://georgiapellegrini.com/2011/12/11/blog/cooking/homemade-gift-preserved-salmon/

Back