Can a starter cause your motor to seem seized?

Rain City

Crew Member
I just ran out for a fish and heard a terrible clackity clack and the motor died. Tried to start it back up and now seems like it's seized. The starter sounds like it's trying to turn it over but stops before any turn happens. My buddy says it could be the starter. Any thoughts???

If the motor was running when you heard the terrible noise, it's not the starter. As Trophy Fisher says, get some tools, pull the plugs and see if it will turn over manually. If it won't, something nasty has happened.

I'm trying to turn it over manually and got it to go like an 1/8th of a turn then nada. Seems as though I'm tightening the crank bolt a lot. Dont know what that should feel like. Using a ****** socket and crescent wrench cheater but not sure what kind of torque this should take. Definitely happened while running.

Also I don't know what direction I'm supposed to be going.

Definitely loosened off the bolt when I turned it counterclockwise.

clicity clack and die. that is rarely and good noise, pretty much guaranteed it is not a starter issue

Pull the starter...if the bearings are seized ...on the started this will happen on any motor and a common
occurrence .

thinking more ...not seized or starter but more likely a broken crank ....speaking from experience.
best advice....take to shop. have them tear it down ...then give them the parts to cover no costs if u decide
not to rebuild....in the meantime. start looking for a camp motor. they go fast

thinking more ...not seized or starter but more likely a broken crank ....speaking from experience.
best advice....take to shop. have them tear it down ...then give them the parts to cover no costs if u decide
not to rebuild....in the meantime. start looking for a camp motor. they go fast
Pretty sure he's talking about his main inboard motor ,not an outboard.

Only an 1/8 of a turn? Sounds like a connecting rod let go or the crank broke. Time for a rebuild or replacement. Sorry for the bad news.

Yup, time for a 5.7L or if you have deep pockets a 6.0L LS. Unfortunately not much will swap over to that.

inboard / outboard...? that makes
the diff on the inner workings of an internal combustion engine.?

either way there is only one way
to find out what happened.

@1marko @trophy fisher @Rayvon @Filletandrelease @noluck @Clint r @Foxsea
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm going to just pull it and have it looked at ASAP. Next question, does insurance cover this sort of thing? I've heard of guys claiming wrecked motors purely pooched from neglect. I find it hard to believe. The last thing I wanted to ask is how the hell does something like this just happen out of the blue??? The motor was running great. There was zero warning. I did do the heads a few years back because of a blown valve. I've been on top of maintenance ever since and like I said it ran really well.

Back