Campbell River Reports 2014

RiverBoy

Finally got the boat all tuned up, and ready to give her a go this long weekend. Thought I would also start a new thread. How's it been out there?

A few fish being caught at Shelter Pt in 250 of water down 200. Too deep, too many small lingers. Some keepers which is always a bonus. 4" Tomics.

Good afternoon bite at the hump today. Very active. Challenging fishing solo! 6 p-cod (all quite large), 1 half descent ling, 5 chinook (only one worth keeping) to the boat. Lost another that felt really good. Plus a few bites I couldn't tend to while fighting other fish. All action between 1:30-3:30 around high slack. UV green flasher with army truck hoochie got top honors for me today. Fished 230' of wire in 250-260' of water on south edge of the hump.

Good afternoon bite at the hump today. Very active. Challenging fishing solo! 6 p-cod (all quite large), 1 half descent ling, 5 chinook (only one worth keeping) to the boat. Lost another that felt really good. Plus a few bites I couldn't tend to while fighting other fish. All action between 1:30-3:30 around high slack. UV green flasher with army truck hoochie got top honors for me today. Fished 230' of wire in 250-260' of water on south edge of the hump.

I was fishing the east side of the hump. Let the current carry us over the hump and banged off two double headers. Six keepers to the boat kept four. Three on purple haze and three on blue meanie.

Talked to my buddy who went out on Tuesday May 27th. He fished the Green can and lost a keeper. Other than that, he released a couple undersized. I am heading out on Sunday but it would nice to have some reports before going out. Stay in touch.

The green can was hot on Tuesday evening. Down 220 over 300. They move around between there and the hump. Know the tides and look for fish if you don't see any keep moving.

Cannon ball question. I know most guys run 15# balls on the hump but i'm wondering how the pancake ones react in the current? I could see them getting pushed around quite a bit more by the tides with the increased surface area. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

I use round finned 15lbers, my fishing buddy uses 12lb pancakes we see no difference that affects our ability to fish deep. He is also able to "tune" his weights by bending the stainless fins so that they pull away from each other.

He is using stainless cable-- I use 250lb Scotty braid (because I got a deal on it and it will not wear out!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the first fishing trip on the hourston, we ended up with 6 crabs and 2 ling, one about 22 pounds. Salmon is my next venture.

Did the first fishing trip on the hourston, we ended up with 6 crabs and 2 ling, one about 22 pounds. Salmon is my next venture.

I think I talked to you this afternoon at the discovery launch, the gf and I were getting back on our 18 explorer heading back to big rock. the water was just high enough to get in.

seen a few caught today at the hump, fished the last half of the ebb. couple bent chovies for us but couldn't make anything stick.

Yesterday caught 4 undersized, 1 keeper and a 18 pounder at the hump

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice! Went out Monday night and what a performance. Usually we fish the ebb, Monday we fished a huge flood with moderate nw winds, everything that you don't want out there. But we still managed to get an undersize

Back