Campbell River Report

R

Rumrunner

The east coast VI fishery should hit record numbers this year as compared to others! We have tons of bait all around the Campbell River area. The bluebacks are still thicker than thieves up in Deepwater/ Browns Bay areas and are double in size and hitting around 3 to 3.5 lbs now. Good news is that we will have a Coho fishery starting July 1 instead of August, with retension of 2 hatchery. Chinook again hit record numbers in last fall returns and should prove to be an excellent fishery again this summer. We are having a fantastic fishery at the Lighthouse as the first run just showed up. Most boats are putting 3 or 4 keepers in the tub! One of the boys hit a tyee (31lb) yesterday and a 37lb over a month ago. Big run of Pinks are forcast for this year and we'll see them around mid July. With Sockeye we will probably have an opening for them at the same time as the commercial fishery. And again we will have our Chums for October. The west coast VI fishery should also be outstanding. Went over to Tahsis a couple of weeks ago with a group of 12 for Hali's and bottom fish with great success. The commercial fleet was trolling right beside us for Chinook (Ironnoggin was on a troller at the same time). Rumours have it that a lot of the spot closures will be lifted this year on the west side. Chinook showed up in June over there last year.
The bookings for a lot of charter operators all over ths island are slow coming in. BC is one of the safest places to visit. I just hope that people don't wait to the last minute as they may be disappointed. Send me an e-mail if you need more information.

Tight lines,
Rumrunner

Rumrunner,

As a shore caster, where is/are the good spots to fish from? I'll be there about every 4wks in the summer ... and of course, in the rivers in the fall.

Alex

Rumrunner,

As a shore caster, where is/are the good spots to fish from? I'll be there about every 4wks in the summer ... and of course, in the rivers in the fall.

Alex

Rumrunner,

Alex

....argonaut wharf has always been a favorite of mine....large fish producer

Hi Alex,

The Argonaut pier (where they load the iron ore ships) and the fishing pier that is downtown are the 2 major hotspots. You can cast from shore for pinks and coho, but check with the local tackle shops for creek closures.

Tight lines,

Rumrunner

Hi Alex,

The Argonaut pier (where they load the iron ore ships) and the fishing pier that is downtown are the 2 major hotspots. You can cast from shore for pinks and coho, but check with the local tackle shops for creek closures.

Tight lines,

Rumrunner

Hi Alex,

Tight lines,

Rumrunner

Back