Campbell River Pinks

I saw a few yesterday along with a couple of anglers.
River really low and the run really hasn't moved in yet.

Might be some summer steelhead up above though.

Check that out.

Take care.

They are in there, was up there yesterday and had about 10 to shore, just little guys, but super bright and feisty.
Almost all were caught on spinners, and an honorable mention to the cutty that hit a pink spoon.

Had an afternoon obligation today, so no time to launch the boat. Took the boy to the Campbell to kill some time in the morning. Pink on first cast (boy and I like to make the right impression). We popped four on fluff in about an hour. Not huge fish, but great condition. Unfortunately, some were biting with their back mouth. All released.

Lots of anglers, some looking pretty darned serious. I would love to know what was going on between their ears when the three year old started out-fishing them. :)

Anyway, the pinks are in, and there's probably going to be a million of them, so crowd the banks and have some fun! We will be back for sure.

I won't make the trip this year, but the Eve should be rocking too. No water, so everything will be stuck down at the bottom of the tidal section, so get there early to get a spot. This is a particularly fun fishery because it has a more "remote" feel than the CR.

Just talked to a fellow who's kids brought 10 pinks out of the Campbell home this weekend. Half of them were infested with tapioca disease. Just nasty..........

Lots of anglers, some looking pretty darned serious. I would love to know what was going on between their ears when the three year old started out-fishing them. :)

So true. LOL. It's funny how grown men have "their spot", plant themselves there with little regard for kids, beginners who just want to have one cast into where the fish are holding. They're just pinks for Gods sake.

What is tapioca disease? I caught a coho with small lumps on the scales on one side on Friday. Is this it? The flesh appeared to be fine and it tasted alright.....

So true. LOL. It's funny how grown men have "their spot", plant themselves there with little regard for kids, beginners who just want to have one cast into where the fish are holding. They're just pinks for Gods sake.
Damn Funny. You are so right eroyd. Pinks should be for kids, and anyone who would not let a kid into "HIS" spot is just looking for bad salmon karma at some point down the road. Lets get the kids to love fishing the very first time they get out there. Nothing will hook a kid quicker than a fresh little pink caught in the lower reaches of a river and wanting to head back to the ocean in a hurry. ;-)

Took a walk with my pal this afternoon from Sandy Pool to the bridge and noted fairly constant success by several fly guys who knew how to catch them.

Noted distinct lack of success by driftfishers using floats compared to fly guys too.

With the numbers of fish in the river now being relatively low compared with what's to come the vertical presentation isn't very effective compared to the horizontal line presentation of the fly chucker, which covers much more space in which a fish may be flossed..............er........I mean hooked in the mouth.

Later, with much greater numbers holding, the vertical presentation will catch a few but if you want to slay them then take off the float and drift your "fly" horizontally.

On two ocassions I've purposely fished a bare hook on fly gear next to a float guy and outcaught him three to one.........then showed him the bare hook to make my point.

He thought they were biting.

Take care.

Took a walk with my pal this afternoon from Sandy Pool to the bridge and noted fairly constant success by several fly guys who knew how to catch them.

Noted distinct lack of success by driftfishers using floats compared to fly guys too.

With the numbers of fish in the river now being relatively low compared with what's to come the vertical presentation isn't very effective compared to the horizontal line presentation of the fly chucker, which covers much more space in which a fish may be flossed..............er........I mean hooked in the mouth.

Later, with much greater numbers holding, the vertical presentation will catch a few but if you want to slay them then take off the float and drift your "fly" horizontally.

On two ocassions I've purposely fished a bare hook on fly gear next to a float guy and outcaught him three to one.........then showed him the bare hook to make my point.

He thought they were biting.

Take care.

Kind of like swinging 6/o-8/o hooks, I mean plugs through the tyee pool?;)

Eroyd,

Yeah, but it won't count if your line's breaking strength is greater than 20 lb ;) there goes all those 50 lb super lines :( ;)
Lol.
Please be nice to Dave. H. I do really enjoy his tyee pool report each year :)

Good waves of pinks showing up on the Campbell river so get out and enjoy this fishery. Saw constant actions from logging bridge to below highway bridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of like swinging 6/o-8/o hooks, I mean plugs through the tyee pool?;)

I'll watch for you out there this year then.

You'll be the guy dragging bare hooks around I take it?? lol

I'll stick to my plugs and spoons and we'll compare catch success at the end of the year, ok??

Everything I noted about fishing Pinks is based on reality, experience and observations, so if you want to increase your catch success there ya go.

Take care.

I'll watch for you out there this year then.

You'll be the guy dragging bare hooks around I take it?? lol

I'll stick to my plugs and spoons and we'll compare catch success at the end of the year, ok??

Everything I noted about fishing Pinks is based on reality, experience and observations, so if you want to increase your catch success there ya go.

Take care.

Naah, I'll still opt to use a pearl pink conical device next to my hook, just to keep it off the bottom.:)

Thinking about heading up to try my hand at fly fishing for pinks in cr, is there a significant amount of fish in the system already (I am a pretty amatuer fly fisherman), and would the pink handlebar do as I have no idea what to use since I am try to get away from gear chucking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back