Campbell River Chinook Retentsion

saltcod

First time I can remember, been here since 1979. Campbell River open to Chinook retentsion, 2 per day, 85 cm maximum size. There are 5000+ Chinook in the Campbell already, typically about 1500 by now, so D.F.O., concerned about too many fish and not enough gravel, has opened the river. These fish are typically not chromers, bit more golden.

Where is the DFO notice of this. Most Chinook returning to the Campbell River are of hatchery origin. Why they would allow harvest of wild Chinook is insanity. One more reason to mark all hatchery stock.

This conversation reminds me of a SFAC motion I read from one of the Island SFAC asking DFO to close down freshwater angling. Thank god the SFAB level had the sense to quash it.

WHY,WHY is this happening The return of wild Chinook might be 500 tops this year. Historically there was 3500 to 5000 wild Chinook in the Campbell. The Chinook of 2019 are hatchery stock. So allowing the retention of non marked fish puts the last remaining of the wild stock at risk. Don't object to the harvesting,object to the lack of thought behind decision. Close the fishery above the Quinsam.

Last edited:
Where is the DFO notice of this. Most Chinook returning to the Campbell River are of hatchery origin. Why they would allow harvest of wild Chinook is insanity. One more reason to mark all hatchery stock.
https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=225782&ID=all
Until there is a selective mark fishery in place, there is no way to distinguish wild and hatchery fish from one another. Escapement surplus to spawning requirements = Chinook rententsion in the Campbell. Your tax dollars at work...

WHY,WHY is this happening The return of wild Chinook might be 500 tops this year. Historically there was 3500 to 5000 wild Chinook in the Campbell. The Chinook of 2019 are hatchery stock. So allowing the retention of non marked fish puts the last remaining of the wild stock at risk. Don't object to the harvesting,object to the lack of thought behind decision. Close the fishery above the Quinsam.
Is should be noted that above the Quinsam confluence, retentsion is not permitted. The rationale behind the 85 cm max size is that it protects most of the 4 year olds, and all of the 5 year olds. I'm hearing that most people are not finding many fish below 85 cm., so not many being harvested anyway

It is only Open below the confluence and has a maximum size limit of 85cm.

Greg

My question would be do u believe there is actually a true wild Chinook left in the Campbell system? How long has the hatchery production been on the Quinsam river now? All our chinook production needs to true be 100 % clipped now... it would truly be interesting to see what or how many wild are out there..

I am not sure how DFO continues to get away with not funding hatchery clipping.
Such an easy way to help assess numbers and manage the stocks.

When did the dept of fisheries start managing fish stocks? They used their power to maintain and grow the commercial fishery. The fisheries they managed are all in trouble. Halibut, cod, clams, salmon, goeducks, the east coast fisheries, etc.

I tried to indicate sarcasm using italics.
Maybe I will try purple sarcasm font in the future.

And no, they do not grow commercial fisheries.

I am an old gillnetter, and I think @IronNoggin will agree that they have engaged in their peculiar form of fuckery with commercial fisherman for decades.
Welcome to the jungle sporties.;)

Here’s a spring my son caught (and released) in the Campbell River today in the fly fishing only (C&R) section of the river. Unbelievable fight on a 10 weight fly rod, but even if we could have kept it, we wouldn’t. It’s not an eating quality fish, given that we have a boat and access to ocean salmon. He swam away with as much energy as he fought.

Attachments

• EE37C2AB-9A5E-4725-A0B1-4F3BB44AE202.jpeg
    EE37C2AB-9A5E-4725-A0B1-4F3BB44AE202.jpeg
    573 KB · Views: 91
Here’s a spring my son caught (and released) in the Campbell River today in the fly fishing only (C&R) section of the river. Unbelievable fight on a 10 weight fly rod, but even if we could have kept it, we wouldn’t. It’s not an eating quality fish, given that we have a boat and access to ocean salmon. He swam away with as much energy as he fought.
Well done!

Back