Campbell River camping with moorage

Discussion in 'General Open Forum' started by MadJigga, Nov 24, 2019.

1. MadJigga

MadJigga Crew Member

Hey all.
    I had a trip booked to Ukee for Aug 14-22 at Secret Beach. Was going to camp and bring the boat up for fishing and adventuring with my family. And wouldn’t you know it, my best friend decided he’s getting married during that slot, and wants me to stand with him. So, trip cancelled. Wedding is in Campbell River August 22nd. I’m hoping to still bring the boat up and camp with the family for a week around his date. I’m looking for recommendations as far as good family campgrounds close to the water and temp moorage options for my 208 Grady.
    Cheers

2. triplenickel

triplenickel Well-Known Member

Pacific Playgrounds is your best bet.

Oly1 likes this.
  3. N2013

N2013 Active Member

X2 on Pacific Playgrounds. Talk to @Waterwolf2230. And go check out the Tackleshack, great stock and selection.

MadJigga and Oly1 like this.
  4. RiverBoy

RiverBoy Well-Known Member

Browns Bay as well. i thought the tackle shack closed down?!

MadJigga likes this.
  5. trophywife

trophywife Crew Member

TAKU, heriott bay, we wai kai. all on Quadra, lots to do around the island and a great launch point to desolation sound.

MadJigga likes this.
  6. gungadin

gungadin Well-Known Member

Thunderbird RV Park & Campground -right on Tyee Spit, walking distance to mall and boat moorage with power and water. Campfire on beach in evening and watch the rowers and cruise ships
    Salmon Point- South of town about 20Km, sheltered marina, in the forest. Small tackle shop, no water at docks, fuel can be problematic (water in).
    Pacific Paygrounds- 25 km south of town on Oyster River,
    The last two have entrances to the marina that are very shallow on a low tide.

MadJigga likes this.
  7. markowwes

markowwes Member

We always stay at Salmon Point, nice marina, clean

MadJigga likes this.
  8. Waterwolf2230

Waterwolf2230 Well-Known Member

The Tackle Shack is a seasonal tackle shop and is closed for the winter as it always has.

As for tides and the Pacific Playgrounds channel, it is night and day different than Salmon Point. On a 3’ tide I could quite easily get my 26’ RH in with twin engines where Salmon Point is mud all the way across on a 3’ tide. The channel at Playgrounds is dredged every spring. Just an FYI.

Oly1 and MadJigga like this.
  9. Oly1

Oly1 Well-Known Member

I have been through the channel at Pacific Playgrounds at low tide. Quite doable in most boats.

Oly