Call to Action – Help Save BC’s Public Fishery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I am aware of.
That said, I am aware that the various FN groups want everyone off the water for the balance of the season, excluding themselves of course.
Despite looking us in the eye and saying they would support Area G, they turned around and did the exact opposite (in writing).
Some in our group lean towards the same thoughts with the SFAB just now. Trying to address that...
Tough when the optics are what they are just now...

It may well be that the FN's are putting their foot down?
Or perhaps the minister's Conference in Ottawa has taken temporary precedence??

I too am wondering...
Matt

From what the rumors are, Local Regional staff just submitted their recommendations to Ottawa DFO staff, then they will Review and it will be sent Minister.

This review could take to May 1, So the political review is just about to start.

From what the rumors are, Local Regional staff just submitted their recommendations to Ottawa DFO staff, then they will Review and it will be sent Minister.

This review could take to May 1, So the political review is just about to start.
We were told by DFO staff at our sfac meeting in Squamish on March 21st that the recommendations had gone to the minister on the following Monday, which would it be in March 24th.

No, they would not tell fibs to you?

We were told by DFO staff at our sfac meeting in Squamish on March 21st that the recommendations had gone to the minister on the following Monday, which would it be in March 24th.

Area G did not submit a single. unified response. Alternatively the message went out to the various Advisors and members to do so individually. I certainly did note support in the letter I wrote and sent in, and I did encourage others to do the same. Certainly getting the "weird eye" from a few now that the SFAB stance is understood.

Nog

upload_2019-4-10_16-51-55.png

These were the options put out by DFO, Looks like the area G Harvest committee recommendations for the public fishery in WCVI was somewhere between option A & B.

upload_2019-4-10_17-17-51.png

Last edited:
These were the options put out by DFO, Looks like the area G Harvest committee recommendations for the public fishery in WCVI was somewhere between option A & B.

You are quoting the first circular, with all of TWO Area G letters in hand.
There were changes offered in better favor of WCVI rec sec in the 50 plus letters that followed.
Doubtful that has been correlated yet. Or will even perhaps be released...
None of the FN's following submissions will be released either is my guess...

Nog

This was just sent out by the Sport Fishing Institute of BC:

April 11, 2019

April 11, 2019

The Honourable Jonathan Wilkinson, MP
Minister of Fisheries and Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard
102 W 3 Street
North Vancouver, BC V7M 1E8

Dear Minister Wilkinson,

As you are aware, the recreational fishery is important to British Columbians as a source of food, a source of income and employment, and a means by which families and individuals connect with our oceans and waterways. Chinook salmon are an iconic species for our province. They are the keystone species for the public fishery, the favoured prey species for endangered SRKW’s, and an important part of the cultural identity and food security for both coastal and interior BC First Nations.

As we look towards the 2019 fishing season, we are faced with conservation concerns for specific stocks of Fraser River chinook salmon. The public fishery has always adopted a leadership role in both the conservation and stewardship of our fishery resources in BC and is heavily invested in the complete and rapid recovery of these important stocks of chinook salmon.

At the same time, we are concerned that approaches to the management of the fishery are being considered that would unnecessarily restrict or even eliminate harvest of Chinook by the public fishery. The effects of those management measures would have minimal benefit to the stocks of concern yet profound impacts to the public fishery.

The implementation of non-retention of chinook to the public fishery on the South Coast of BC would result in the immediate removal of hundreds of millions in anticipated economic activity plus the loss of thousands of jobs in small coastal communities across Vancouver Island, the Sunshine Coast and the Lower Mainland. A south coast non-retention approach does not achieve balance between conservation objectives and socioeconomic impacts, because the benefits to escaping fish to the spawning grounds is less than 5% compared to an approach that would enable the public fishery to survive.

We request that the responsibility to balance socioeconomic impacts with conservation objectives is properly considered. This balance is possible and can be achieved through measures such as bag limit reductions and hatchery marked only restrictions to reduce harvest and move harvest away from the stocks of concern. Equally important, DFO must consider implementing management restrictions only where there will be a measurable and meaningful conservation benefit to endangered stocks.

We can’t stress enough the potential for strong, negative reaction from many communities, families and businesses. The short- and long-term damage that would be caused if you choose to adopt a politically expedient measure over a balanced, defensible approach that conserves and benefits the stocks of concerns yet maintains a minimal level of opportunity and access for the public fishery can not be over stated.

As both the Prime Minister and you have recently publicly stated; in the 21st century we shouldn’t have to choose between the economy and the environment. We must have both. We agree and strongly support that approach.

We sincerely hope that you will find the appropriate balance and take steps that will aid in conservation of Fraser River Chinook yet maintain economic opportunity and social benefits for the people, businesses and communities of British Columbia.

Sincerely,

SPORT FISHING INSTITUTE OF BC
a49ed766-2184-46a8-8f61-bdc75aff3f0a.jpg

Robert Alcock,
President

Cc: Pacific Liberal Caucus
Mr. Gordie Hogg, M.P.
Chair, Pacific Caucus
South Surrey-White Rock
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0A6

I just got the following from Jonathan Wilkinson constituency office. It doesn't give much more than its coming:

Hi, Dave.

I have reminded Fiona to call you.

The announcement will be made soon; I have no inside information, as I am in the constituency office and not the DFO. Sorry it is so long in coming.

I wish I could do more, but cannot.

Regards,

Cynthia

Cynthia Bunbury

Constituency Office Manager

Office of the Honourable Jonathan Wilkinson

Member of Parliament for North Vancouver

Minister for Fisheries, Oceans and Canadian Coast Guard

102 West 3rd Street

North Vancouver, B.C., V7M 1E8

Tel. (604) 775-6333

Jonathan.Wilkinson.C1C@parl.gc.ca

i like my letter better........

i sent this march 13th to the mucky mucks @ DFO.pacific.ottawa.notinterested.stopbuggingus.wealreadydecidedmonthsago.ca

To whom this may concern:

Gee, why not use a science based approach; not a latte sucking SJW approach to resource management?

you folks are trying to correct years and years of total and utter mismanagement of our salmon resources in one season

Nice going

News flash, the SRKW will likely die out from toxins, before they EVER run out of food

Scenario A is a complete joke and will end in complete destruction of the BC coast

Scenario B is just slightly better

Why not this; cull the river delta systems of 70% of the seals/sealions (which apparently account for 2 – 4 X the chinook mortality (vs sporties) and reduce the annual catch to 20 per licence

Then at least I can go out and catch 2 fish a day, and spend 5 days ‘harassing whales’ vs 10+ days (at one fish per day)

My family and I spend +/- $8,000 per year in the Ucluelet/ Bamfield area

Crazy times

name, address , phone etc

Area G did not submit a single. unified response. Alternatively the message went out to the various Advisors and members to do so individually. I certainly did note support in the letter I wrote and sent in, and I did encourage others to do the same. Certainly getting the "weird eye" from a few now that the SFAB stance is understood.

Nog

Matt, you probably did not see this, but here is the Area G response. I will highlight, because you accuse the SFAB promoting reducing the number of days Area G was to be allowed to fish under both Scenario A & B, that....the table included in the response you quote was not part of the official SFAB response, and simply a copy of the table that DFO prepared to outline their two scenarios....the SFAB did not propose anything specifically related to Area G troll.

I would also point out, that Area G did indeed submit a proposal to the IFMP process. I waited to post this because I was hopeful that you might find the Area G response rather than having me post it. Clearly you were not aware of this letter, so I'm in no way accusing you of hiding anything etc. I should point out that Area G did indeed take a shot at the recreational fishery contrary to what you might have thought. Also note that Area G response specifically asked for a re-allocation of savings from reductions they proposed in the recreational fishery to be "passed along" to Area G. I don't know where you have received your information, but clearly there appears to me to be an effort to toss the rec fishery under the bus to advance an allocation issue for Area G....or that's how I read the letter. Correct me if I got it wrong? I would still like to see the Rec sector and Commercial sector one day be able to work together with other stakeholders - specifically FN's. True reconciliation cannot be successful unless we are all sitting together at the table making win/win decisions co-managing these fisheries for all our mutual benefits....or we can just continue to fight it out in court.

Here is that response from Area G - Note the bolded section of the letter:

>> From: The Area G Troll Harvest Committee
>> RE: 2019 Fraser Chinook Conservation Measures

Dear Sir,

>>
>> In respect to the proposed chinook management measures presented in >>your letter dated February 5, 2019, the Area G Troll Harvest Committee >>has reviewed the conservation objectives in detail and we see that our >>impact in a May fishery on early run chinook is very minimal and we >>are requesting a May fishery for 100% percent of our pre-season TAC.
>>
>> The Area G troll fishery has been successfully managed to avoid
>>Fraser stocks of concern which is shown by the low impact on all of
>>the CWT indicator stocks, particularly on the earlier timed Nicola >>chinook of which Area G impacts represent only 0.84%. The Area G >>fishery is closed for June and most of July in recent years which is >>designed to protect the other Spring and Summer Fraser Chinook stocks >>for which there is no CWT indicator.
>>
>> Although the in-season abundance index for the WCVI AABM fisheries is >>not available at this time, by all accounts there will be a very
>>limited fishery for Area G troll in 2019 under the current
>>distribution of TAC amongst the AABM fisheries. As such, Area G must

DFO Chinook Feedback- IHPC 3/6

>>have access to a May fishery which provides the best prices and >>economic return from the expected meager harvest opportunity. The >>further reduction in the available harvest for Area G in-itself should >>further reduce the impacts as a smaller and smaller proportion of the >>AABM TAC is harvested by this fishery. Additionally, not fishing in >>April which has been an important time period in the past, will >>further reduce impacts on early timed stocks.

>>
>> We are also proposing that there be a reduction in the recreational
>>catch limits from 2 to I a day in June and July, and reduce the
>>overall annual limit to ten per year in order to help with the
>>conservation of the Fraser chinook. We will expect that these
>>conservation measures will reduce the overall recreational catch in
>>the AABM area and will should provide the Area G fishery with more of
>>the overall AABM chinook number. We know that the Department can
>>calculate what the expected reduction in recreational catch will be
>>based on reduced catch limits and we need access to that uncaught fish starting in our August fishery. >>
>> Sincerely,

>> Area G Toll Harvest Committee >>

I should also point out that Area G really should have a chat with Area F Troll, whom harvest the highest number of Shuswap Chinook, and whom also would be part of what DFO needs to consider when determining the fisheries reductions of other users such as Area G Troll, Recreational and FN's. Yes, other stakeholders also contribute to ER, but we should be looking at the outliers for larger "proportional" contributions...not Area G at only 5.6% of total ER.

Exploitation Rate on Total Run ER ............ Share of ER
Northern BC Commercial Troll 7.0% ........... 25.8%
WCVI Commercial Troll 1.5% ......... 5.6%

Juan de Fuca Recreational 2.8% ............ 10.5%
Strait of Georgia Recreational 3.0% ............ 11.3%
Johnstone Strait Recreational 1.1% ........... 4.3%
WCVI AABM Recreational 1.2% ........... 4.6%
WCVI ISBM Recreational 0.1% ............ 0.5%
Northern BC recreational 2.5% ............ 9.1%
Fraser Recreational 2.2% .............. 8.1%
Fraser Indigenous FSC 4.4% .............. 16.4%
All other 1.1% ............... 3.9%
CDN Fishing Removals 27.0% ............. 100.0%

i like my letter better........

i sent this march 13th to the mucky mucks @ DFO.pacific.ottawa.notinterested.stopbuggingus.wealreadydecidedmonthsago.ca

To whom this may concern:

Gee, why not use a science based approach; not a latte sucking SJW approach to resource management?

you folks are trying to correct years and years of total and utter mismanagement of our salmon resources in one season

Nice going

News flash, the SRKW will likely die out from toxins, before they EVER run out of food

Scenario A is a complete joke and will end in complete destruction of the BC coast

Scenario B is just slightly better

Why not this; cull the river delta systems of 70% of the seals/sealions (which apparently account for 2 – 4 X the chinook mortality (vs sporties) and reduce the annual catch to 20 per licence

Then at least I can go out and catch 2 fish a day, and spend 5 days ‘harassing whales’ vs 10+ days (at one fish per day)

My family and I spend +/- $8,000 per year in the Ucluelet/ Bamfield area

Crazy times

name, address , phone etc
Just to clarify that wasn't a letter that I wrote that was a response from Wilkinson's office on me asking when they're going to announce the decision.

The Greens and the FN would like us gone.
The Greens are lobbying every day here and in Ottawa.
As noted elsewhere, will be decided in about two weeks on a Friday afternoon. Just as all bad news is.

1,000 percent agree with you on the Greens...I think some FN's are quite supportive of the rec fishery because they are invested into it....that view is changing in many FN communities - not all of course. But the greens are our enemy at moment. The Suzuki Foundation, Raincoast Conservation Society, and Marine Conservation Caucus are top of mind. These groups are actively promoting closing the rec fishery as the only answer to many of their manufactured crisis issues. Any scientist who speaks out against some of their crisis campaigns gets harassed....they show up at lectures and heckle - its disgusting. Time to fight fire with fire.

Just look at their whales are starving campaign...when we see reports of the starving whales doing very well in Monteray Bay and an animal that was supposedly starving to death now reportedly doing surprisingly well....sounds to me like animals that sometimes get sick, just like people...animals that sometimes can find prey, while at other times cannot....if it was a prey shortage, then why are they suddenly doing well...what changed...same prey when they were supposedly starving. BUT, that narrative doesn't fit their agenda so you will never hear the same people who cried the sky is falling coming out saying, hey look at those whales who are doing great...how about that.

I'll add a few headlines and dates to show the "recovery timeline"

Jan 07, 2019 - Grandmother killer whale is at risk of starvation - and her death will affect the entire pod
- 42 year old female J17 developed peanut head - "there's little hope for the whales' survival"

April 10, 2019 (note only 4 months later)

Headline...Once-ailing orca J17 now showing few signs of "peanut head."

NOTE: J17 was observed in March (actually just over 3 months later) in Haro Straight...in an area where the ENGO's are saying there are no Chinook, that over-fishing is the cause and must be stopped if there is any hope of SRKW recovering. OK, how does this fit the ENGO narrative now? Maybe we simply learned through greater awareness that these beautiful animals need room to find their prey and successfully hunt them down...its access to prey not necessarily availability.

Last edited:
Matt, you probably did not see this, but here is the Area G response. I will highlight, because you accuse the SFAB promoting reducing the number of days Area G was to be allowed to fish under both Scenario A & B, that....the table included in the response you quote was not part of the official SFAB response, and simply a copy of the table that DFO prepared to outline their two scenarios....the SFAB did not propose anything specifically related to Area G troll.

I would also point out, that Area G did indeed submit a proposal to the IFMP process. I waited to post this because I was hopeful that you might find the Area G response rather than having me post it. Clearly you were not aware of this letter, so I'm in no way accusing you of hiding anything etc. I should point out that Area G did indeed take a shot at the recreational fishery contrary to what you might have thought. Also note that Area G response specifically asked for a re-allocation of savings from reductions they proposed in the recreational fishery to be "passed along" to Area G. I don't know where you have received your information, but clearly there appears to me to be an effort to toss the rec fishery under the bus to advance an allocation issue for Area G....or that's how I read the letter. Correct me if I got it wrong? I would still like to see the Rec sector and Commercial sector one day be able to work together with other stakeholders - specifically FN's. True reconciliation cannot be successful unless we are all sitting together at the table making win/win decisions co-managing these fisheries for all our mutual benefits....or we can just continue to fight it out in court.

Here is that response from Area G - Note the bolded section of the letter:

>> From: The Area G Troll Harvest Committee
>> RE: 2019 Fraser Chinook Conservation Measures

Dear Sir,

>>
>> In respect to the proposed chinook management measures presented in >>your letter dated February 5, 2019, the Area G Troll Harvest Committee >>has reviewed the conservation objectives in detail and we see that our >>impact in a May fishery on early run chinook is very minimal and we >>are requesting a May fishery for 100% percent of our pre-season TAC.
>>
>> The Area G troll fishery has been successfully managed to avoid
>>Fraser stocks of concern which is shown by the low impact on all of
>>the CWT indicator stocks, particularly on the earlier timed Nicola >>chinook of which Area G impacts represent only 0.84%. The Area G >>fishery is closed for June and most of July in recent years which is >>designed to protect the other Spring and Summer Fraser Chinook stocks >>for which there is no CWT indicator.
>>
>> Although the in-season abundance index for the WCVI AABM fisheries is >>not available at this time, by all accounts there will be a very
>>limited fishery for Area G troll in 2019 under the current
>>distribution of TAC amongst the AABM fisheries. As such, Area G must

DFO Chinook Feedback- IHPC 3/6

>>have access to a May fishery which provides the best prices and >>economic return from the expected meager harvest opportunity. The >>further reduction in the available harvest for Area G in-itself should >>further reduce the impacts as a smaller and smaller proportion of the >>AABM TAC is harvested by this fishery. Additionally, not fishing in >>April which has been an important time period in the past, will >>further reduce impacts on early timed stocks.

>>
>> We are also proposing that there be a reduction in the recreational
>>catch limits from 2 to I a day in June and July, and reduce the
>>overall annual limit to ten per year in order to help with the
>>conservation of the Fraser chinook. We will expect that these
>>conservation measures will reduce the overall recreational catch in
>>the AABM area and will should provide the Area G fishery with more of
>>the overall AABM chinook number. We know that the Department can
>>calculate what the expected reduction in recreational catch will be
>>based on reduced catch limits and we need access to that uncaught fish starting in our August fishery. >>
>> Sincerely,

>> Area G Toll Harvest Committee >>

I should also point out that Area G really should have a chat with Area F Troll, whom harvest the highest number of Shuswap Chinook, and whom also would be part of what DFO needs to consider when determining the fisheries reductions of other users such as Area G Troll, Recreational and FN's. Yes, other stakeholders also contribute to ER, but we should be looking at the outliers for larger "proportional" contributions...not Area G at only 5.6% of total ER.

Exploitation Rate on Total Run ER ............ Share of ER
Northern BC Commercial Troll 7.0% ........... 25.8%
WCVI Commercial Troll 1.5% ......... 5.6%

Juan de Fuca Recreational 2.8% ............ 10.5%
Strait of Georgia Recreational 3.0% ............ 11.3%
Johnstone Strait Recreational 1.1% ........... 4.3%
WCVI AABM Recreational 1.2% ........... 4.6%
WCVI ISBM Recreational 0.1% ............ 0.5%
Northern BC recreational 2.5% ............ 9.1%
Fraser Recreational 2.2% .............. 8.1%
Fraser Indigenous FSC 4.4% .............. 16.4%
All other 1.1% ............... 3.9%
CDN Fishing Removals 27.0% ............. 100.0%
This entire deal smells.

Thanks for posting this Pat. There is lots going on here that does not resemble multi sectorial cooperation.

This post is not directed at you , but intended for all.

Commercial sector is all over the public fishery. Here are a few things for folks to chew on.

No I don’t have links to documents. And I have already posted the DFO response to my letter regarding Halibut. The prawn thing is well documented on this site. Those who are involved know what is up.

. Growing talk against public fisheries practice of C&R . Which if successful, automatically turns any planned “ non retention “ management decisions into “NO FISHIG”! You can’t have non retention without C&R.

. The letter shown in your post recommending DFO reduce Public fishers limit and then request those fish to be reallocated.

.On good authority I am told there is a strong lobby to the minister going on against public fisheries access to Chinook. Above statements put some of that into perspective.

. Any possibility of reallocating a fair and equitable share of Halibut TAC is off the table as far as DFO is concerned. Confirmed by the DFO response to my last letter on TAC.

. Prawn reductions coming in response to commercial lobby.
Do not forget the part of the original letter from DFO letting us know plans of 50% cut . You know the part that said The prawn fishery is the highest value commercial fishery in B.C.
And YES, this cut is an allocation to commercial prawners. No this was not new this year. Myself and others knew this was coming last spring. It was already basically a done deal then. Just not implemented.

. To top it off, there is nothing to date, that shows that any hit we take to help Fraser Chinook equates to anything other than further allocation to the other commercial in River fishers.

Sure don’t look like “working together “ to me?

Pat, we do not always share the same opinions or optimism I know. That said, I commend you and others for the efforts wen facing such a monumental challenge.

Here is hoping for some thoughtful, cooperative and meaningful decisions to come from the minister SOON .

Last edited:
I'm just a lurker here but I do have a question...

Would "Option A" mean no fishing for chinook, or no fishing for ANY salmon?

Option A as written is Chinook non retention in areas and times listed. Other salmon, fin fish and shellfish etc would still be open as per area regulations.

Matt, you probably did not see this, but here is the Area G response.

Correct in that I was basically unaware of that letter.
I hazard a guess that this was one of the two letters I referred to above, which formed the basis of the first synopsis on where the "negotiations" stood.
I am aware that a good number of subsequent letters were sent in, and that many followed my suggestion of softening our stance towards the rec sec.

I am also completely aware of the discussion within the SFAB, and what was said regarding the troll fishery directly to DFO in those meetings.
As those minutes are still in draft, I will not post what they entail... yet.

I do strongly agree that we best be getting everyone on the same page in this regard.
DFO's standard tactic of divide & conquer has worked so well for them, for so long, they know no other way.
United we would blow them right out of the water methinks.
Looking forward to that day...

Cheers,
Matt

As those minutes are still in draft, I will not post what they entail... yet.

Super secret draft SFAB meeting notes love how a commercial troller get them before people that show up to SFAC meetings. That's awesome glad I show up to meetings.

This whole system is defunct

guess you have to be in the super secret club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back