Buzz Bombs

From another thread:

quote:Originally posted by Kisinana

We have caught fish in as little as 10 feet with buzz bombs.
Buzz Bombs...haven't heard anyone mention those or any other kind of drift/jig lures for ages. Does anyone still use Buzz Bombs and ZZingers and such?

I always liked that style of fishing for the more direct connection you have with your rod at all times, but was never that successful at it. As a result, my fishing partner no longer has any interest in jigging.

Of course, we'll troll around in Sooke or Renfrew for 7 or 8 hours at a stretch, but rarely did we ever drift fish for more than an hour. No wonder we're more "successful" when we troll.

It is funny last august when no fish were biting in refrew 'for us' we trolled 2 hours then went jigging for bottom fish and caught our only spring on a zinger 18lb spring no flasher, great fight... wish I caught all my fish that way :D

It is funny last august when no fish were biting in refrew 'for us' we trolled 2 hours then went jigging for bottom fish and caught our only spring on a zinger 18lb spring no flasher, great fight... wish I caught all my fish that way :D

I think I'm buzz bomb challenged.... I've tried them more than a few times and I can feel the fish hitting the lure but almost never get a hook set. Got so frustrated one day when I came home all the buzz bombs hit the gargabe can :D I've heard of folks doing well with them for surface coho but never managed to pull that feat off myself.

A number of the Sliammon boats in our area seem to do okay jigging mornings/evenings over the top of reefs with a yellow top/white bottom pencil jig. I find that the bait moves around so quickly over these open reefs that no sooner have I set myself up to jig over a bait ball it's moved on... Think I'm like you though never really spent the time to work drift fishing techniques to the point they produce. If gas goes to $1.50 it may be time to start developing that skill set....

I think I'm buzz bomb challenged.... I've tried them more than a few times and I can feel the fish hitting the lure but almost never get a hook set. Got so frustrated one day when I came home all the buzz bombs hit the gargabe can :D I've heard of folks doing well with them for surface coho but never managed to pull that feat off myself.

A number of the Sliammon boats in our area seem to do okay jigging mornings/evenings over the top of reefs with a yellow top/white bottom pencil jig. I find that the bait moves around so quickly over these open reefs that no sooner have I set myself up to jig over a bait ball it's moved on... Think I'm like you though never really spent the time to work drift fishing techniques to the point they produce. If gas goes to $1.50 it may be time to start developing that skill set....

Isn't there a time early in the spring fishing season that the "jigging" crowd does there thing somewhere outside of Cheanuh? I've heard they are quite successful.

I used to do tons of it from my 12 foot tinny. Favourite spots were 10 mile point, Discovery Island and Sidney Spit. Lure of choice was the Perkins, in silver. I caught many coho around 10 mile pt. in under 20 feet of water and some nice springs too. Most of my springs came from Sidney Spit.

As mentioned, lots of people used to fish this way but everyone seems to have gotten away from it.

Isn't there a time early in the spring fishing season that the "jigging" crowd does there thing somewhere outside of Cheanuh? I've heard they are quite successful.

I used to do tons of it from my 12 foot tinny. Favourite spots were 10 mile point, Discovery Island and Sidney Spit. Lure of choice was the Perkins, in silver. I caught many coho around 10 mile pt. in under 20 feet of water and some nice springs too. Most of my springs came from Sidney Spit.

As mentioned, lots of people used to fish this way but everyone seems to have gotten away from it.

That's how I've been doing most of my fishing for the past 8 years or so. It is nice not having the motor running, and the fight is GREAT. But, it isn't as productive as trolling (in my opinion).

Some of the reasons:

1) Not covering as much water (not as many fish seeing your lure).

2) Only fishing one rod each.

3) Tendency to stay in one spot too long (that's my tendency, others may not have that...)

4) Always jigging near the bottom (probably because you get some action from bottomfish)

I think jigging success can be improved by:

1) REALLY getting to know an area. Find out where the fish lie when the tide starts to pick up. Structure and currents are the key.

2) As above, don't be afraid to move. Jigging in the desert for hours won't make a fish appear out of nowhere. Since I fish out of a cartopper with a small outboard, moving takes forever. Consequently, I tend to stay put and not catch much. LOL

3) Change lures. I tend to stick with the same lure that worked for me in the past, I shouldn't. Try a proven lure for a while. If it doesn't work, try something else.

4) Try different depths. I usually start near the bottom, but I try to remember to make my way up and search for the fish. I count the number of cranks off the bottom so that when I do hook into one, I can get right back to the same place. I keep trying to remind myself that fish can see up better than down, so it's better to be a little shallow than a little deep.

5) When you get a hit, mark the location. I take quick sitings. "House with tall tree lined up behind chimney, end of point lined up with tip of island in the distance". I guess GPS would work too. LOL

This is all basic stuff, but I still have to remind myself to listen to my own advice!

That's how I've been doing most of my fishing for the past 8 years or so. It is nice not having the motor running, and the fight is GREAT. But, it isn't as productive as trolling (in my opinion).

Some of the reasons:

1) Not covering as much water (not as many fish seeing your lure).

2) Only fishing one rod each.

3) Tendency to stay in one spot too long (that's my tendency, others may not have that...)

4) Always jigging near the bottom (probably because you get some action from bottomfish)

I think jigging success can be improved by:

1) REALLY getting to know an area. Find out where the fish lie when the tide starts to pick up. Structure and currents are the key.

2) As above, don't be afraid to move. Jigging in the desert for hours won't make a fish appear out of nowhere. Since I fish out of a cartopper with a small outboard, moving takes forever. Consequently, I tend to stay put and not catch much. LOL

3) Change lures. I tend to stick with the same lure that worked for me in the past, I shouldn't. Try a proven lure for a while. If it doesn't work, try something else.

4) Try different depths. I usually start near the bottom, but I try to remember to make my way up and search for the fish. I count the number of cranks off the bottom so that when I do hook into one, I can get right back to the same place. I keep trying to remind myself that fish can see up better than down, so it's better to be a little shallow than a little deep.

5) When you get a hit, mark the location. I take quick sitings. "House with tall tree lined up behind chimney, end of point lined up with tip of island in the distance". I guess GPS would work too. LOL

This is all basic stuff, but I still have to remind myself to listen to my own advice!

I have done very well with Zingers. I think about four years ago just out of Beacher, the pinks were everywhere. We got quite a few. Really shallow too.

P.S. I think this is a pink year. When do they start to show up?

I have done very well with Zingers. I think about four years ago just out of Beacher, the pinks were everywhere. We got quite a few. Really shallow too.

P.S. I think this is a pink year. When do they start to show up?

Troll them, jig them, drift them....
When I first moved to the Island in 19** it was the first way I learned how to catch Salmon off Beachy Head. This was B.B. (before boat) and I spent most of the summer hauling fish in a backpack almost very weekend through East Sooke Park.......
Still use them....on occasion, sometimes just as a trailing third in the wash.

Troll them, jig them, drift them....
When I first moved to the Island in 19** it was the first way I learned how to catch Salmon off Beachy Head. This was B.B. (before boat) and I spent most of the summer hauling fish in a backpack almost very weekend through East Sooke Park.......
Still use them....on occasion, sometimes just as a trailing third in the wash.

From now until mid August jigging around Ten Mile point and Cadboro point can be very productive for springs into the high 20's. the Gap can also be a great place to jig. It is also fun to hook in to fish while trolling with the ball at about 18 feet down. The kelp beds at Cadboro Point produce nice fish late in the evening just as the sun sets...

From now until mid August jigging around Ten Mile point and Cadboro point can be very productive for springs into the high 20's. the Gap can also be a great place to jig. It is also fun to hook in to fish while trolling with the ball at about 18 feet down. The kelp beds at Cadboro Point produce nice fish late in the evening just as the sun sets...

I like the "rip tides" use them in Porlier and also out of Quadra Island up towards the big rip on the inside there , work well for me .

AL

I too was wiened on buzz bombs and Zingers. We very rarely fished in water over 60' and spent alot of time looking for bait. Once we found bait and only then did we jig. The trick is to stay on the bait.
I must say our success rate was pretty high once on bait. Finding bait has become more difficult some days. I still have a rod & levelwind rigged with a zinger ready when we see bait. It's great for Coho right on the surface.

Back