Buzz bomb fishing (fishing the northwest) tv show 1980's

That looks like Larry.S from the Fishing the west show. I’ll never forget waiting for Sunday morning so I could watch his show as a small kid. It was probably the most influential show for me as a child. I loved watching him fish the rivers for salmon. I eventually named my first boy after the Kalum River remembering the big springs they caught there. Great show

Lol,, buddies got a cigarette in his hand in the first video, looks so odd this day and age to see that on a public show.

Gotta love the old Lowrance in that video. I had a old one similar to that on a trophy I rebuilt years ago. Must have weighed 20 lbs and buzzed loudly lol

These guys are fishing in Alaska and talking about 26 salmon limit per day!

That looks like Larry.S from the Fishing the west show. I’ll never forget waiting for Sunday morning so I could watch his show as a small kid. It was probably the most influential show for me as a child. I loved watching him fish the rivers for salmon. I eventually named my first boy after the Kalum River remembering the big springs they caught there. Great show

WMY- No it's a ghost of what it used to be.
Seals and sea lions have all but wiped out the early fishery.

Last edited:
Ah Buzz Bombs. Neat lure.

I moved to Port Angeles in 1977. Did a lot of fishing in Florida and Georgia where I grew up. Knew absolutely noting about Salmon fishing.

Had a little 14 foot open fishing boat that I used prior to my move to the Pacific NW. A month or so after my move here I launched at the ramp on Ediz Hook. Ran to Green Point area.

Using an old 7 foot spinning rod from my Florida days with a Cardinal 7 reel (Remember those? Still have it). 4 inch white Buzz Bomb. 17 pound Trilene. 80 feet of water at the Green Point Flats.

First cast, a few cranks on the reel, fish on. 14 pound Blackmouth.

Mumbled to myself: "Salmon Fishing is easy". Hah! Little did I know!!

We fished buzz bombs in the 70s at Pedder Bay. My wife won the 1980 Fisherman of the Year Award with a 32 lb spring. It took 45 minutes to land on a spinning reel with 15lb test. We met Rex Field in the 70s when he was producing buzz bombs in the basement of his house. Very interesting man

Most of the fish I have caught in the last 40 years have been on Buzz bombs. When the Zingers first came out in the late 70's or early 80's
they became the go to lure for spin casting and mooching. I still clean up old beaten up Buzz bombs and Zingers with a fresh coat of paint
each year and they fish just as good as new.

Most of the fish I have caught in the last 40 years have been on Buzz bombs. When the Zingers first came out in the late 70's or early 80's
they became the go to lure for spin casting and mooching. I still clean up old beaten up Buzz bombs and Zingers with a fresh coat of paint
each year and they fish just as good as new.
I was going to ask if they were the same. Never fished a buzz bomb but I've caught my fair share on green glow zingers. Lots of fun.

I was going to ask if they were the same. Never fished a buzz bomb but I've caught my fair share on green glow zingers. Lots of fun.
Both are meant to fall in the water column and spin on the line. They were greatly improved when they brought in the Holographic color scheme. I never liked to have them rigged the way the package instructions call for. I always use a 30# leader, a swivel 2 beads and a small split ring for my rig. Buzz bomb Zinger Rig.jpg

Best salmon for me was a 37# spring caught in the mid 70's at the golf Course on a 4" Blue Pearl Buzz Bomb. I was using an old 9' Diawa glass rod a Mitchell 396 reel
and 12# CharterBoat line. I watched the fish rise and threw the Buzz Bomb right in front of it. About 5 seconds later it hit. Fight was about 45 min.
That same year a 47# spring was taken at the Golf Course by a friend.

I've used buzzbombs quite a bit. I wish Jim Plunet was still making the King of Diamonds though. I always had better success with them. I still have a few King of Diamonds that I use every year. I love jig fishing.

Nice post there JI, always ways to build a better mouse trap. Curious as to if you actually notice a difference in hook ups with the top bead? Assuming that is to prevent the spinning buzz bomb from climbing up the line.

Back