buying/making rocket launchers

Fisherf

so i bought my first boat a few months ago, (13 foot hourston) and now i have decided to put rocket launchers on it. I have not decided if i should buy them or make them. i know that if i use metal it will require welding, witch my dad can do when he has time. or if i used pvc/abs i could do it without welding and i would just make a metal bracet (my grandpa has lots of metal from various projects). or would it be better to buy somthing like this? imgres.jpg

thanks! fisherf

my first rocket launchers were abs plastic white pipe (black would work just as well) i purchased from a hardware store and cut to length. then drilled them and screwed to my seats in my 14' aluminum boat. worked fine. on my next boat I bought some like the ones you have pictured. the boat I have now came with aluminum ones already welded on. the cheaper home made ones worked just as well as the more expensive. i guess I'd say it's your choice as to how you'd like to do it. either way will accomplish the same result. does help tidy up the boat a bit when your running to and from your fishing location....

the abs ones I made I believe i bolted 2 or 3 onto a piece of cutting board first, then bolted the cutting board onto the vertical portion of the seats....

Probably depends on how many rod holders you need & how vain you are on appearances. I don't think something you can purhase is any better that bigdog's solution. The one's like you pictured do come in a gang of 4. Whatever your solution, it's likely that you will use it for a while, then make some changes - all part of the normal design process. You can also attach the tubes to wood cross members - I am rather fond of size 10 stainless steel square drive sheet metal screws in various lengths as a general all-purpose marine fastener. 3M 5200 cement is a great marine adhesive/sealer.

I highly recommend @Clint r for rocket launchers. If you're looking to buy something anyway, he can make something suited to your specific boat.

He made a great arch rod holder and also great net holder, and tool holder for my boat, all in stainless. Definitely professional work.

Attachments

• 20160604_150701.jpg
    20160604_150701.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 58
thank you, for the replies aheny, ericl and bigdogeh.
i have decided to make them out of pvc and paint them. in the future i will make metal ones or have someone make them.

thanks, fisherf

Two type of plastic tube avalible ,inexpencive stuff becomes brittle and cracks upon pressure,the more expencive stuff will crush and not break or crack.

Hi Fisherf, I have a white plastic berkley 3 rod rocket launcher you can have if you want, I am in the lower mainland in North Van. I'm not sure where you are but assume you are probably on vancouver island so it may not be easy to get it.

When you make them out of PVC, be sure to countersink the hole that you are using to screw into the wood or metal to secure it, otherwise you risk gouging the rod grip when inserting and removing the rod Use the appropriate countersink (flat) stainless screws. You can use a larger drill bit to do the countersink, but be carefull as the bit will have a tendency to grab and before you know it the will go right through. Use a variable speed drill at very low speed. You will also find that the hole on the outside needs to be a bit bigger then the hole you use to attach it with.

There is a fabricator in Sooke that has a shop down to the left on the road that goes behind the gas station just before Sunny Shores on the Sooke Highway. He made the combination radar arch and 6 rocket launcher type rod holders that is on my boat before I bought the boat. Reasonably priced and very high build quality and materials - all welded Al. The unit on my boat looks factory and is very robust. I have never had a rod or boat hook bounce out of it or even come close to breaking a tube when pounding seas. It also has a good place under it to mount the life ring and rope and radar reflector and it contributes to giving your boat a better radar signature which could save your life, especially if yours is a glass boat. This unit is built so well it will last decades and easily outlive live the boat. Ops, I just noticed your boat is a 13 footer, just saw Hurston, I need to read better. This would be way too big and top heavy for your application but good information for anyone else thinking about getting a radar arch with rod holders for a larger cabin boat. Your on the right track with what you are doing.

Last edited:
thanks everyone!
i have not made them yet, but i am hoping to make them on the weekend. thank you gungadin, for reminding me about countersinking the holes. i didnt think the screws could catch the rod, but now i will definatley use a countersink.

thanks! fisherf

Back