buying either an Etec or a Yamaha

rln

I want to purchase a new 90hp Etec or Yamaha 2 stroke. So who is the place to go to on the lower mainland? Thinking of both price and in season service. Anyone got any recomendations?

if you are in the lower mainland price them out in the states oregon no sales tax, huge difference, the only down side is for warrenty you have to go to bellingham or somewhere across the line

After watching extensive use by a local fish farm outfit i sure wouldn't buy an E-tec. They don't get 300 hrs out of them whereas the Merc 2 strokes get 2 to 3 K hrs under extrememly hard use.

To each his own. What you see is what you believe.
Maybe the fish farm E-tecs are "Genetically modified"
[^][^]

IMG_1445.jpg

I did hear that the 75&90hp etecs did have some troubles early on when they first hit the market, like any newly introduced engine and block, but it has long ago all been wokred out - theyve been out for several years now.

Every motor on the market get well over 1500hrs, and even if it did die under 300?!! its a good thing theres a great warranty.

bottom line is, go with what has the best dealer support, price, and warranty. Both of those engines will be great for you and last a longtime.

img3937n.jpg

I want to avoid the huge weight issues with 4 strokes and motors like Merc's optimax the 2 lightest ones are either a Yamaha 2 stroke at 270lbs or next up an Etec at about 340lbs. There will always be the ones that crap out shortly after purchase but lemons are lemons. I was just looking for guys with some experience on dealers here as some are not as good as others and "highly recommended" is usually the way to.

I have twin E-tec 250s and am at 297hrs and no issues. I really enjoy running these engines. I have yet to get the exaust smell into the boat from them as I do when my four stroke kicker is running, I have used the big ones for trolling as I have had problems with the kicker.
I have one gearcase off as there is a leaking seal, this could have been a big issue , except that I was vigilant in my checks and I trailored the boat all summer.
A big plus with these motors is that unlike the other systems they will start if you have enough current to spin the motor over the compression point. I forgot my switches on once and I had just enough juice to give one motor about two revolutions and it fired up.My inverter shuts down at 11.5 volts and it was down. Saved from an embarassing moment by E-tec technology.[:I][:I]

IMG_1445.jpg

I purchased an E-TEC 90 in 2007. I love the power to weight ratio on my boat. Just over 300 hrs. and going strong.

Read about the 02-05 Yamaha bigger 4strokes and see how Yamaha is treating their customers with the corrosion problems, hope it dont happen to the Yammy you may buy.

Any engine can be a lemon. Make sure you have a good backup kicker. I went with Merc 115 Optimax and a 9.9 pro kicker. Had a injector replaced under warranty but have had no further issues. My Optimax is a stinky motor to run for trolling but is a great motor otherwise.

I would check over the border for deals. Could save you some decent $$$$. Good luck with your purchase!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any engine can be a lemon. Make sure you have a good backup kicker. I went with Merc 115 Optimax and a 9.9 pro kicker. Had a injector replaced under warranty but have had no further issues. My Optimax is a stinky motor to run for trolling but is a great motor otherwise.

I would check over the border for deals. Could save you some decent $$$$. Good luck with your purchase!

Yuk, the "M" word. Owned 2 of those, and vowed never again...especially after the Merc Western Canada VP told me to basically screw off with my warranty concerns, and I told him that was his choice, but in so doing I would tell everyone I know and Merc stood to lose a lot of business..to which he said, Merc owns the market on the West Coast - Yami and Suzuki don't stand a chance - tell whom ever you want. Arrogant toad. :mad:

Well, that was back in 1998 (still mad about it) and I'm guessing Merc is a distant 4th behind the rest of the competition. What I did learn from that was only buy engines from companies that stand behind their product with confidence and have the service to back it up when a problem does happen - and it will, no matter how good the engine is and who built it. The key is how the manufacturer responds to trouble, and that is what I would base my purchase decision upon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to purchase a new 90hp Etec or Yamaha 2 stroke. So who is the place to go to on the lower mainland? Thinking of both price and in season service. Anyone got any recomendations?

So..... what did you end up getting and where did you purchase it?

new boat is to be built early this spring and I will make my mine up between the 2 stroke 90 yamaha and Etec at the boat show. Sort of a "feel the love" thing. I want to make sure whichever product I go for has a decent dealer standing behind it. Checkpoint in Port Moddy has changed ownership and I trust the new guy to do whatever is needed if there is a problem so I am most likely leaning that way right now.

Back