Buying a new vehicle the easy way

Although this thread is about buy new, if you have the ability and room, consider buying old, 25+ years old. Collector cars are for pleasure only and they are a great investment. We bought a 68 Firebird 5 years ago for $39,000 cad and was offered $75,000 usd last year. Decided to get it appraised and it came in at $125,000 cad. Much better than our investments. Life's too short to not have more toys. :)
I just bought a Suzuki samurai for $500. Could flip it for $3-4000 but life’s too short to not jump a Suzuki samurai off every log and rock

Toyota is said to be committed to hydrogen and not going toward EV. Might change the picture.
I have been sensing this hydrogen preference for a while now, Toyota could lead the way, however alternatives are always good. We had propane and gasoline choices at the same station. But look at infrastructure already in place (gas stations) that could convert to hydrogen, and would solve one of the big problems for where to charge/fill your vehicle?

The 25k for a replacement battery after 5 years is what is what’s keeping me away at the moment and that’s if they will replace it. I’ve read some are part of the structure and can’t be replaced.

The 25k for a replacement battery after 5 years is what is what’s keeping me away at the moment and that’s if they will replace it. I’ve read some are part of the structure and can’t be replaced.
that and the tool most shops will need to do that job is over 10k just for the lift table.

that and the tool most shops will need to do that job is over 10k just for the lift table.
old fuel to the fire, but the tow truck and fire fighting training and requirements for the EV's is not adequate according to the people I have talked to. I am not anti EV.

My wife drives the nuts off her current Gen 4runner Ltd, around $1k a month in fuel. So, I'm watching Toyota close af to see what power updates are in the new 4runner. For those keeping up with the tacoma, this past taco Tuesday they leaked it will have I force hybrid power like the tundra and the 4runner will likely follow suit. So, for me, a hybrid 4runner would be just fine. But even if they announce for 2024 in 2023, I bet we won't be able to take delivery until 2024 very late or 2025. The I force tacoma is definitely an option for her too.

BTW I thought it was Honda that was going in on hydrogen?

The EU's Net Zero plan is in tatters - and not a moment too soon https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...e-backdown-means-eu-net-zero-plan-in-tatters/

"If anyone had any lingering doubts that the EU is run by German car-makers (in association with French farmers), they will surely have been dispelled by the news that the bloc is to backtrack on its plan to ban combustion engines from new vehicles by 2035. While petrol and diesel cars will still be banned, carbon neutral synthetic "e-fuels" will be permitted. While bringing the EU's green juggernaut to a skidding halt may have required some very powerful lobbying, it is also the right decision. ... As for synthetic fuels made from carbon dioxide and hydrogen produced by electrolysis of water, the German Aerospace Centre estimates such fuels could be made for aviation purposes using existing technology for around 2.26 Euros (£2 per litre). That is expensive – it currently costs around 50 pence to produce a litre of unleaded, the rest being tax and distribution costs – but it is not much higher than recent at-pump prices. The EU’s change of heart means that the car industry can now work developing what could be the ideal compromise: plug-in vehicles which could run 50 miles or so in pure electric mode, but which have a small engine – powered by synthetic fuel – to keep the battery charged on longer trips. ..."

Over a hundred thousand EV owners in this country shrug and say whatever. It's killing me to wait for my F150 Lightning so long, if there was another suitable electric work truck out there I'd be driving it now. Gas savings over $5000 a year for me. All I had to install at home for charging is the same plug and breaker you'd use for a kitchen stove or a clothes dryer, 240V 40A.

Battery life span for most makers is 2000+ cycles. So for a 400-500 km range EV, it's not due for battery replacement for 700-800,000 km. Tesla data shows their batteries at 400,000 km still have 85% of original range. And let's put some perspective on mining for batteries: the oil and gas industry digs up hundreds of times more stuff than lithium mining - and then we burn it.

Most people drive to work, grocery store, school. If you have off street parking you can probably charge at home, for pennies, while you sleep. 0-100% on a big battery like the Lightning costs under $10. Charge stations on the highways are opening every month, most people only go on a highway trip a handful of times a year anyway. EVs and infrastructure are already good enough for lots of people, and are going to get even better quickly.

Next time you're due for a new vehicle, talk to an owner and consider if EV might work for you. Less expensive to own over typical km lifespan because energy and maintenance costs are much lower.

Back