Bute pointers

Augie

Thinking of heading up there to check things out. Just wondering if anyone had any advice or pointers especially for this time of year? Salmon, prawns and crab is what we are hoping to find.

Bute is an awesome spot for sure. Most importantly is pay attention to the outflow wind coming out of the inlet you will want to have a good point of land to hide behind. If you travel on the SE side of Stuart Is Henrietta point you won’t have to worry about any rapids. There is good anchorage at fawn bluff bay, across the inlet at Moh creek and in front of Orford river. Chinooks are done but should be some coho around Moh creek and clipper point to Orford river. Fish boundary is about 6km past Orford river. Prawning will be slow due commercial fishery but probable find enough for a meal or two you might find some crab in front Orford river.

Enjoy Bute.

Bute is an awesome spot for sure. Most importantly is pay attention to the outflow wind coming out of the inlet you will want to have a good point of land to hide behind. If you travel on the SE side of Stuart Is Henrietta point you won’t have to worry about any rapids. There is good anchorage at fawn bluff bay, across the inlet at Moh creek and in front of Orford river. Chinooks are done but should be some coho around Moh creek and clipper point to Orford river. Fish boundary is about 6km past Orford river. Prawning will be slow due commercial fishery but probable find enough for a meal or two you might find some crab in front Orford river.

Enjoy Bute.
What a great report!

I’ve always wondered about that area

Bute is something special. About this time a number of years ago we were buck tailing right off the beach around mo creek and smash its a big coho and its on...screamed out 200' and started dancing across the water. Finally got it in 19.5 lbs...unreal, had Eiji down on Quadra make a print of the fish that's still in my office today.

See if you can spot Michelle Pfeifers place on the way up bute.

We were just talking about a trip to bute or rivers inlet next July only today. Fantastic part of the world.

Bute is something special. About this time a number of years ago we were buck tailing right off the beach around mo creek and smash its a big coho and its on...screamed out 200' and started dancing across the water. Finally got it in 19.5 lbs...unreal, had Eiji down on Quadra make a print of the fish that's still in my office today.

See if you can spot Michelle Pfeifers place on the way up bute.

We were just talking about a trip to bute or rivers inlet next July only today. Fantastic part of the world.

Nice Ejji does very nice work nice to support local artists. Yep I like to bucktail small spoons with my fly rod in the kelp beds. Some really good action on the eb tide. Same at the log dump.

Years ago I used to do well for prawns on the right side of the inlet, heading up. Near the entrance, across from Stuart. There's steep bluffs and the depth punges fast, so you basically set the prawn traps feet from the shore and it's 280' deep. Make sure they don't slide off the shelf.

Should be black bears to spot this time of year, especially further up. I saw the biggest pod of porpoise I've ever seen up there too. Neat area.

Back