Building boats from Hourston glascraft molds

Sorry for the delayed response. After nearly a year of trying to put a deal together in BC we have partnered with the guys at NMI in Bellingham to build our boats. You are correct about the state of the BC boat building industry.

yed response

Solid choice, build the brand back up with qualified people. Hopefully you will be able to bring production back to BC at some point but governments here have to wake up and see the differences in what the US offers investors. I believe Tuff Trailers is Canadian owned but was basically given land in WA to start building trailers there! Looking forward to seeing your boats on the water!

Which size hulls are you focusing on? Do you have any pdf marketing material to share? Very interested in seeing the 26' optioned out with twins in the island runner and sedan format.

Hi I plan to have a bunch of stuff up for January. As you can imagine using the molds and updating some features they are going to look familiar. The guys at NMI build a great product and we plan to build on the legacy with a solid seaworthy do everything west coast platform.

Hi I plan to have a bunch of stuff up for January. As you can imagine using the molds and updating some features they are going to look familiar. The guys at NMI build a great product and we plan to build on the legacy with a solid seaworthy do everything west coast platform.

Sounds good, not sure how much input you've had from current hourston owners but I'm ready to chat any time. We keep ours in very good shape but I know someday I'm going to want to either significantly modify the power package or replace the boat.

One of the best things about this hulls deck is no step all the way to the cuddy, and self bailing. I highly doubt you're building any IOs but Billy could have given us about 4" more clearance for servicing haha.

With an updated interior, bigger fuel tanks, self bailing decks, composite stringers , in floor fish boxes with macerators, taller roof and either outboards or inboard diesels you’d have a winner in my opinion. Basically build a Skagit Orca with a Hourston hull. Not too much to ask is it? Haha

self-bailing decks, so true - pretty much the biggest and only issue I have with my Hourstons (one is a project 71' project boat that needs a LOT of work haha..)

Any thoughts on pods being a pain? Why not do something like this? On a different note a bare hull might sell well.
YTG3ZLMHS44VORXATYGWANYY2Y.jpg

Not sure why that euro transom would be better than a pod. The benefits of the pod are added flotation, easy spot for reboarding, bigger dance floor, and you get to keep your kicker in a straight line to your main for an easy steering linkage. Most importantly, the bigger dance floor.

Not sure why that euro transom would be better than a pod. The benefits of the pod are added flotation, easy spot for reboarding, bigger dance floor, and you get to keep your kicker in a straight line to your main for an easy steering linkage. Most importantly, the bigger dance floor.
This debate keeps coming up but depending on whether you molded it up from a pod or if you cut it out of an existing hull the pros/cons would change.

Euro = the sexy. Lol

Each has merits and each design would be unique to a particular hull style so having a marine architect manage the design process is key, imo.

As to the kicker point, with a euro style pod and the new trolling technology in the mains that would effectively negate the need for a kicker, particularly with twin mains.

I agree there is about 6 feet of wasted space with that design ... if its look's you want then sure but I want something that gives me the most room possible and function, looks doesnt really cut it to be honest

Again... if that entire molded section were built up OVER the pod then there is zero wasted space.

Euro = the sexy. Lol

Each has merits and each design would be unique to a particular hull style so having a marine architect manage the design process is key, imo.

As to the kicker point, with a euro style pod and the new trolling technology in the mains that would effectively negate the need for a kicker, particularly with twin mains.
The main point of running a kicker is keeping the hours off your main engines which are infinitely more expensive to replace. As well, easier to control kicker speed and steer from back of boat than trying to control the main engines.

The main point of running a kicker is keeping the hours off your main engines which are infinitely more expensive to replace. As well, easier to control kicker speed and steer from back of 5boat than trying to control the main engines.

I used to fully subscribe to this post but after fishing off my buddys new outrage with the troll setting on his verado, I mean wow whats not to like other than racking up the hours. The boat tracks great and in a 28' hull like that you're not going to hang off the back with a tiller.

Anyway as for losing dance floor, we are not talking about cutting into the hull, just extending it out with the same footprint as a pod would consume. Even at that, you easily could add a kicker mount to a euro style pod. Buddy with the whaler was going to but he simply likes the ease of fishing with his verado on troll. Not for everyone but it was pretty sweet.

We are working on launching a new line of boats using the original Hourston Glascraft molds. It will be a 2021 launch. Let me know if anyone is interested.
This is exciting news; one minute they were the worlds oldest fibreglass boatbuilding company and then they were gone.
In my area (Howe Sound-Sunshine coast), the Island Runners are more an upscale sport boat along the lines of the newer Chris-crafts and are a popular and impressive boat. I don’t know why they didn’t do a 23 foot model as well. They are a natural candidate for outboards, possibly a well as opposed to a pod. Also it would probably a good idea to make the 15 and17 available as bowriders.

I used to fully subscribe to this post but after fishing off my buddys new outrage with the troll setting on his verado, I mean wow whats not to like other than racking up the hours. The boat tracks great and in a 28' hull like that you're not going to hang off the back with a tiller.

Anyway as for losing dance floor, we are not talking about cutting into the hull, just extending it out with the same footprint as a pod would consume. Even at that, you easily could add a kicker mount to a euro style pod. Buddy with the whaler was going to but he simply likes the ease of fishing with his verado on troll. Not for everyone but it was pretty sweet.
I have the same thing for my 150 non Verados and love it

Any thoughts on pods being a pain? Why not do something like this? On a different note a bare hull might sell well.
YTG3ZLMHS44VORXATYGWANYY2Y.jpg
The euro transom allows the approx. 3' of space aft of the bulkhead to be counted as part of the hull hence increased LOA. If similar boat had transom near aft bulkhead and an aluminum or fiberglass bracket of approx. 3' bolted on , that boat would have an LOA 3' less than the former. This is based on an ABYC rule for measuring boats instituted in the early 2000's, and lets manufactures count the length of molded in bow pulpits and euro transoms. Pursuit, Grady and nearly all the top manufactures changed most of their molds by about 2005 to mold in bow pulpits, and get rid of bolted on brackets, thus effectively stretching their boats LOA, which makes a 24' boat a 26.5' boat or longer, which means more $$$$$ in sale price. Sad but true. DAJ

Funny rules regarding the bolted on vs moulded in fibreglass. The important measurement to me is the length at waterline.
I don’t see measuring a euro transom “cheating” on loa but the bow pulpit? That doesn’t seem right. It contributes squat to how the hull performs. Loa only matters to me when I’m paying moorage

Back