Building boats from Hourston glascraft molds

As for selling your boats, lease like 100' in secret cove and tie them up, all will be sold in 10 mins or less. I can sell ours pretty much each time its at the dock at secret cove marina for fuel.

Come on, let's do this.

So true, lol. That is Hourston country for sure. Walk around the docks at Buccaneer Marina or Water Bay and see dozens of 70s and 80s vintage Hourstons going strong. New power of course.

With an updated interior, bigger fuel tanks, self bailing decks, composite stringers , in floor fish boxes with macerators, taller roof and either outboards or inboard diesels you’d have a winner in my opinion. Basically build a Skagit Orca with a Hourston hull. Not too much to ask is it? Haha

With an updated interior, bigger fuel tanks, self bailing decks, composite stringers , in floor fish boxes with macerators, taller roof and either outboards or inboard diesels you’d have a winner in my opinion. Basically build a Skagit Orca with a Hourston hull. Not too much to ask is it? Haha

These are all key features.

One other annoying thing on a lot of boats is the lack of dash space to mount 2 large electronics screens. Most serious fishers these days are spending a lot more on quality and large electronics than in the past. You either need to provide a layout for 2 in dash flush mounted type of setups or, room above the helm for upright mounts that are low enough that the captain can easily see over top.

These are all key features.

One other annoying thing on a lot of boats is the lack of dash space to mount 2 large electronics screens. Most serious fishers these days are spending a lot more on quality and large electronics than in the past. You either need to provide a layout for 2 in dash flush mounted type of setups or, room above the helm for upright mounts that are low enough that the captain can easily see over top.

Yup this x 2

Mine is like 8' 10" or something
And best advice I can give you for bringing back the 23 and 26 in a inboard make the stringers wider so when you put a engine in you can reach down to replace starter or plugs or better yet floor hatches and reinforced cut outs on stringers so you can reach thru to get access to the plugs and starter... maybe be something to consider.... btw LOVE my 26 footer and glad to see your taking on the molds

Yes I think some guys on here need to have ride on yours. I am not sure how your boat would handle in outboard version . It is such a heavy boat. JW 23 sportsman is Ok for the podded version but not so sure on 26 like yours. Most likely need twins of biggest motors you can buy for a pod.

My brother-inlaw podded his 26 Hourston Sportfish (same as Wolf's) and powered it with a 300 Suzuki.I think he's happy with it other than the fuel cost,he was used to diesel economy.

Last edited:
My brother-inlaw podded his 26 Hourston Sportfish (same as Wolf's) and powered it with a 300 Suzuki.I think he's happy with it other than the fuel cost,he was used to diesel economy.

Let's see this thing...who did the pod? Glass or tin? Cheers

Well-- my first boat other than a tinny, was a 15 ft ex Sewells with a 50 hp Merc. I literally ran that little boat until it was falling apart because I insisted on beaching it for clamming, beach combing, and other activities that were NOT good for fiberglass :p So I fixed it up- sold it and bought a 17'6" Hourston without power again from Sewells. Put a 90 Merc on her, put two fuel tanks under the seats and surprised some of the guides from Hardy when this peanut showed up off Cape Caution with three old dudes in it !!!! Good times-- Great boats/. Hope they make it back into the market.

Kurt Bohn did some aluminum pods in Sooke...he did mine. he had Bohn Sheet metal, not sure if he is still around.

I’ve worked in some heavy eagle craft welded aluminium boats in the 26 range, and they all worked great with a 350 Suzuki and a kicker.

One other thing that would be really nice to have as an option especially on the larger models is an open back with a drop curtain (my Strong preference) vs an enclosed Alaskan bulkhead style (great if you like to boil in the summer but seems to be quite popular these days).

I like the Alaskan Bulkhead...open the windows and the hatch and let the breeze flow through...lock your valuables up at the end of the day and leave them in the boat. Also cozy warm in the winter and keeps critters from getting into the boat and making that nasty stinky mess of your interior.

Yeh. could be Walt....he built the pod in 92 so been awhile since he came up in conversation.

Back