Bucktail Flys

casper5280

Crew Member
I want to troll some bucktail flies this year and was wondering what colors and patterns to get. Pictures would be great. Where to get them went to two different places this weekend and neither had any. Also how do you set them up for trolling. Thanks for any help.

Gill and gift in belfour, bc. Via mail order or if your in the area.
http://gillandgift.com/FLY catalogue.html
Bob brown flies # 214,215,226,228,234 have worked for me on Kootenay lake and out winter harbour for spring/coho. I usually fish skull flies as it will run just under the surface .
I was taught to make sure they troll upright without rolling, I use the rear hook and twist it until I'm happy it's upright and staying there, usually check and adjust after every hit.

The Tackle Shack at Pacific Playgrounds just got a big shipment of Grand Slam Bucktails in this week. 4" Herring in all colors, 4" Needlefish in all colors and 6" Magnum Herring in all colors. The guide that works out of there started using them just yesterday and lost a 20+ right at the boat on the 4" Cop Car Needle. They ship anywhere in Canada for $5. I haven't seen them in person yet but supposed to be super high quality and they all glow. Tie them up as if they were a hoochie. From what I read, some guys put a small, thin herring or anchovy strip on the hooks. Whatever you do don't add scent to the fibres. Check them out here: http://www.grandslambucktails.com/ 12 more days and I'll be out to get my hands on some!

Good luck!

Attachments

• Grand Slam Bucktails.png
    Grand Slam Bucktails.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
  • Grand Slam Bucktails Models.jpg
    Grand Slam Bucktails Models.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 43
Its funny to hear this from Waterwolf. I stopped by the Tackle Shack the other day to grab some other tackle (plugs and some flashers) and they were telling me about these and sold me on picking up a few. I love this place, the pricing is awesome and the staff are always so helpful!

Sounds like the Bucktails have been flying off the shelf there. I also appreciate the willingness to ship at a flat rate anywhere, I'd spend more than that on gas for a single trip.

I know the black/white herring pattern is a classic go to.

Its funny to hear this from Waterwolf. I stopped by the Tackle Shack the other day to grab some other tackle (plugs and some flashers) and they were telling me about these and sold me on picking up a few. I love this place, the pricing is awesome and the staff are always so helpful!

Sounds like the Bucktails have been flying off the shelf there. I also appreciate the willingness to ship at a flat rate anywhere, I'd spend more than that on gas for a single trip.

I know the black/white herring pattern is a classic go to.
Don't judge me, I have to live vicariously through others! For me it'll be the Purple Haze and the Blue Herring. Keep us updated Kev on how they are working.

Don't judge me, I have to live vicariously through others! For me it'll be the Purple Haze and the Blue Herring. Keep us updated Kev on how they are working.

Have only managed to give them a try once in the last few days, no luck with them today. Supposed to rain all day tomorrow so may need to wait until Saturday.

A traditional Bucktail is tied on a long shank hook like a "streamer" fly used in freshwater. Fish these by themselves or with a Cowican spinner in front (it has a mother of pearl blade on a shaft like a Colorado spinner).

The Grand Slam are "tube fly's" tied on a hollow tube with the leader threaded thru the tube - never use these but used ti tie my own with Polar Bear hair. I used 50# leader with a single Octopus hook 32 inches behind a small Hot Spot; outfitted needle fish hoochies by a wide margin - first time I used it we caught 25 Springs on it trolling the banks at Ucluelet in early summer. Green/white & blue/pink/white are hot colors.
There are rigging instrucions on the Grand Slam site; although i disagree with using tandem hooks (worse action).

The Grand Slam are "tube fly's" tied on a hollow tube with the leader threaded thru the tube - never use these but used ti tie my own with Polar Bear hair. I used 50# leader with a single Octopus hook 32 inches behind a small Hot Spot; outfitted needle fish hoochies by a wide margin
I used to tie those on tubes too. We called them "flashtails"
We used to fish them behind Abe and Al flashers for Coho around Swale Rock in Barkley Sound. They worked very well.

Back