Brown’s Bay

Read on the gill-netters face book page that the test fishery sets out in the middle of the straight are doing better then the beach sets apparently that’s backwards compared to most years.

“Johnstone Straights - Test fishing has been spotty, fish behavior has changed so there is more fish traveling in the middle. The open sets are out performing the beach sets. This makes it harder to test accurately. Female ratio is higher than normal, not sure why. Size has dropped from over 11lb at start, to under 10 lbs now. The run looks like it will hit the fishing threshold, so fisheries are being planned, and will be announced tomorrow. Check fishery notice to be sure, but it seems that Area D JS fishery will open in Area 12 only on Oct 18 4pm for 41 hours, and for Area 13 and 12 on Oct 23rd 4pm for 41 hours.”

Last edited:
https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=238632&ID=all

Category(s):
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine
Subject:
FN1095-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine - Chum - Area B - Area 12 and 13 - Johnstone Strait - Opening October 21, 2020

After concluding the Chum Working Group pre-season meetings, Area B Seine Johnstone Strait Chum harvest opportunity will be managed as a full fleet derby fishery and will open for 10 hours on October 21, 2020, and for 3 hours on October 22, 2020, subject to in-season assessment information. This fishery is planned to occur in a "harmonized area" encompassing the lower portion of Area 12 and the upper portion of Area 13 as described below, on dates that respect the intent of the Thompson/Chilcotin Steelhead window closures for Areas 12 and 13.

I saw two gillnetters with nets bailed on their decks leaving the dock on Monday.

Gillnetting in the middle of the Johnstone Strait is crazy.
Gillnetting chums is ****** enough, maybe they are allowed 90 meshes now. If it is still 60 mesh, not a lot of fishing going on.

Those are the seines. Fishing has been slow for them.

Gillnets start again tomorrow at 16:00 until Monday morning.

I was planning to fish in Deepwater Bay Saturday night and Sunday morning. Will the gillneters take over the whole area or can a small boat troll around there without interference?

You can troll around Gillnets easily enough. Most will be out in the middle in that area due to the tidal flows. They will be more active at night as that is when catch rate is higher there.

Nets are 1200’ long so if you see a boat drifting look for the other end of the net. Also watch when you are travelling that you don’t run over a net.

Gillnets are only 45’ deep so they won’t break up the schools during the day.

You can troll around Gillnets easily enough. Most will be out in the middle in that area due to the tidal flows. They will be more active at night as that is when catch rate is higher there.

Nets are 1200’ long so if you see a boat drifting look for the other end of the net. Also watch when you are travelling that you don’t run over a net.

Gillnets are only 45’ deep so they won’t break up the schools during the day.

Great info. Many thanks. I am packing the boat.

Make sure you wave first and smile at them.
Gillnetting used to be all glory, sex, drugs and rock & roll.
Now it is a very expensive hobby.
There are some pretty grumpy dudes out there, but many fine gentleman too. Just like this forum.
Gawd, I miss sockeye gillnetting, chum gillnetting, not so much.

Make sure you wave first and smile at them.
Gillnetting used to be all glory, sex, drugs and rock & roll.
Now it is a very expensive hobby.
There are some pretty grumpy dudes out there, but many fine gentleman too. Just like this forum.
Gawd, I miss sockeye gillnetting, chum gillnetting, not so much.
I miss them both but with how political it became I had to step away. DFO has really screwed over the gillnetters.

Back