brining anchovies

fishin solo

Crew Member
gonna use them tomorrow first timer with real bait . do I need to brine ? any secret recipes

thx solo

Salt water, rock salt to saturation ( and a little extra), Mrs Stewarts bluing agent, throw in the frozen anchovies night before or before you leave the dock , should be good to go by the time you are on the grounds

Salt water, rock salt to saturation ( and a little extra), Mrs Stewarts bluing agent, throw in the frozen anchovies night before or before you leave the dock , should be good to go by the time you are on the grounds

X2 might throw in a little powderd milk aka salmonuniversity.com -maybe have a read of the full brining article-good place to start.

Hey Guys You are the only network I have Please help an old Veteran win a new MR3. If you are on Face book please click on the following link and "like " my photo. Thanks Spring Fever

https://www.facebook.com/<wbr>jugheadshaker/photos/a.<wbr>389736011166580.1073741827.<wbr>389731304500384/<wbr>411320645674783/?type=1

I use to brine but now I just put them in in a freezer bag coat and then cover in bag with course salt and leave in the fridge overnight,
by morning they are stiffened up nicely and hold a nice roll, if I have any left I refreeze and use next time.
less messy then brine and no belly blowouts either,
the main thing is getting a nice roll, remember to check it at the side of the boat while trolling

Last edited by a moderator:
My old man kept checking his roll behind the boat and couldent understand why his roll was so hard to get right. I always check out the side as far from the kicker wash as possible.

-KK

Dry brine for me. Course / Pickling salt in a hard ziplock container. Can't use enough salt btw. Get them salted down and in the fridge a day or two before fishing trip and you're good to go. Keep them in fridge/freezer overnight if multi-day trip and when done they can go back in the freezer for weeks without spoiling. They will dry out like raisins after a day or two and you'll get a nice tight barrel roll.

That said, many ways to skin a cat....

I squirt about a tablespoon of Mrs. Stewart's bluing into a peanut butter jar of cheap dry pool salt and shake it up. A tray of frozen anchovies fits perfect in the bottom of my little pink Bubblicious cooler. Add a decent layer of blue salt, another layer of bait etc... It's ready to go in the morning. Then I throw in a frozen water bottle. It will last days if I keep it dryish. Seems to work fine. If there are so many fish I that I need lots of bait, I don't need bait.

Use to use the dry method, no problems. The 6-pack cooler, layers of salt and bait. Use for the day and place back in the feeezer.

Switched to the wet brine and there was no differnce to catching, but the wet brine seem to have a brighter shine, with the Blueing and powdered milk.

But as some said, less mess with the dry.

Cheers

SS

Back