Bridge Lake, BC - Big Kokanee in the Cariboo

Ben Fougere

I was successful on one of my trips to Bridge Lake. On my other trips, the kokanee were harder to find. Here's my video of what a great day on Bridge Lake, BC looks like.

Looks like an amazing day out. I have two questions if you dont mind me asking. What size cannon ball are you using and what fish finder depth sounder are you using if any? I recently got down riggers for my 12ft smoker craft and have still yet to use them due to me not having cannon balls or a fish finder depth sounder. slowly putting it all together. TIA,

Looks like an amazing day out. I have two questions if you dont mind me asking. What size cannon ball are you using and what fish finder depth sounder are you using if any? I recently got down riggers for my 12ft smoker craft and have still yet to use them due to me not having cannon balls or a fish finder depth sounder. slowly putting it all together. TIA,

I have been using 10lb cannon balls. They keep my downrigger cable straight up and down in the water. 6lb cannon balls would work fine as well.

As for a fish finder, I am currently using a Garmin Striker 4. I bought it at Costco a few years ago now. I love Garmin products. I'll be looking to upgrade to a Garmin Echomap next with lake maps.

Thanks for the quick reply. I abit torn between the garmin striker plus 7sv and an echomap model. Cheap sv or map package

Thanks for the quick reply. I abit torn between the garmin striker plus 7sv and an echomap model. Cheap sv or map package

I only have experience with the Striker 4, but the echo map seems to fit my needs for my next purchase. I really could have used the map feature on my last trip to Bridge Lake for lake trout (youtube video on my channel).

To add ... I have An ECHOMAP Plus 9sv with Lake maps including the Inside/Outside G3 Vision package I just upgraded from my Striker5 which was a really good affordable ez to use ... never let me down! My new Garmin ... well I can’t say enough!!! Awesome unit for the price and don’t hesitate to upgrade ... promise you will LOVE it! Always a con ... the Bluechart G3 Vision maps are not cheap! Couple grand Or more if you want it all lol Mine was $455 That being said it’s been worth every penny to me ... Btw very nice Kok’s you caught Bridge lk is awesome ... live in the lower mainland but fish Hwy24 a lot Good luck and stay safe!
Tight lines,
Finz ....

Was at Bridge Lk for a week end of June, aka this year as monsoon season up there!!! Poured and blew for 5-1/2 of our 7-d and daytime highs only topped 15C on the one nice day. Really put a hitch in my Kokanee hunting plans (as did an outboard that kept acting up!). Still, what a beautiful area and lake. Highlight was catching my personal best kokonut (on the one nice morning) 20” and the fattest/thickest girth of any I’ve caught to date by a large margin.

Besides the lousy weather, it had been so cold and rainy all spring, the thermocline hadn’t set up, so finding the buggers was extra challenging. Gonna try a few more times next spring/summer (and Deka as well).

Great video BF and congrats on your success!

Cheers!

Ukee

Last edited:
Back