Brake Lines

I'm talking about replacing all the steel brake lines. From the states you can buy hoses to replace all the steel lines ...but I was told doing so is not approved in Canada. In fact I was told that the cops could pull your trailer off the road for not having steel brake lines. I'm not even sure about any rubber. I've only ever had steel throughout.

With sunlight and ozone I would think steel would outlast hoses. Options re: coatings and stainless. Easy and cheap! Can even buy flared lengths.

There is soft flexible stuff that comes in rolls if you need longer lengths. As well as the lengths in multiple sizes with flares and fittings already mounted that wild bill mentioned. It really is easy to replace them if you have the proper tools. Just try doing a couple practice flares on some of the old brake line you pull out. Steel lines will be better (and alot cheaper) in the long run imo. Use short rubber hoses to your calipers if you want. But if you run the solid steel line along your axles you can hard pipe directly into your calipers. That's the way I did it. (ran hose down to the axle from solid pipe along the trailer frame.)
(pipe meaning steel brake line tubing)
If you try to buy a kit for a generic trailer, chances are you will be cutting the kit into lengths that will work for you anyways and you'll prob have to flare an end or two as well.... Just measuring up what you need, make a rough drawing, and buying the parts will prob be the best way in the end if you plan to do it yourself.

Last edited:
My trailer has a disc brake kit made by Tie Down that I installed that has the flexible rubber lines. By chance I saw a CVSE Officer this morning and asked him this question. He said the rubber lines are fine if rated for trailer brake use. Incidentally, he said they see rigs weighing in excess of 2800 kegs with surge brakes which is not permitted.

Great! I really don't want to bend and flare stainless lines.

Can't remember the price, but Comox Valley Marine sells the same kit. Canadian $ and no shipping or customs. I suspect you can find a CDN dealer where you live as well.

My trailer has been converted completely to rubber lines as well.

Back