Braid

sir-vivor

Im thinking about putting new braid on my new to me MR3 Islander , What brand and lb braid do you have on your MR3 ISLANDER for big Springs ?
How often do you replace your braid ?

Tried braid, didn’t like it for 2 reasons.
One no play, mono stretches and seems to give you some play especially when the fish takes a sudden deep dive right by the boat.
Two down rigger clipping, braid is very thin and slicker than mono. Found that the braid kept pulling out of the clip. Yes there are tricks like all the way in clip, the extra hard clip setting, attaching mono to the braid for clipping, twisting braid in clip, etc etc....didnt find any were the cats meow. Easier just to use mono.

60lb braid works fine, same diameter as 15lb mono.
make sure it gets spooled tight and use a 40-50' top shot of 30lb mono.
braid should last 10 years, trimming off a few feet every season.

I like the mono on top of braid too. If you're running deep, say 200 or more, there is so much stretch in the mono that most strikes are almost completely absorbed by it. 40 or 50 lb braid restores the liveliness of the strike and the 40 ft of 25 or 30 lb mono on top provides some give when the fish is near the boat as well as solid grab for the clip. Best of both worlds.

Use an Albright knot to connect the two lines and clip the ends carefully to make a smooth connection. I use this on my river casting rig as well and it runs out smoothly through the rod guides without snagging. Trim back the mono as needed if nicks appear, and replace it annually. Wear on the braid will be minimal unless a fish runs into your props.

Thanks , any suggestions on a GOOD braid or are they all pretty much the same quality. Is cheaper ...... inferior and stay away !

Thanks , any suggestions on a GOOD braid or are they all pretty much the same quality. Is cheaper ...... inferior and stay away !

I like the Daiwa jbraid x8 60lb, it's very smooth and less expensive than power pro and seems to be similar quality. Power pro is great as well. I find the cheap braid usually doesn't have the same smooth profile, and is sometimes thicker. Braid lasts forever, might as well have something decent.

I use about 75' of 30lb big game mono tied with an Alberto or double uni knot. I like the stretch in it. The type and amount of mono tied on makes a big difference in the feel, something to experiment with.

You'll get long life out of the braid since the top shot takes all the wear. No point in cheaping out.

Braid with mono topshot - change the mono as needed, change the braid every decade or 2. I use 40# mono long enough so that I can run a plug 30' back from the clip. Alberto knot is probably best for solid braid, but I bit the bullet & bought the needles to use a served connection with hollow core braid. I doubt there is much difference in brands other than color. I have used both 20# & 40# on moochers for salmon; heavier for other fish. I used 20# for over 20 years but switched to 40# as I will be taking the grandkid's out soon (in the next 10-20 years).
Would NEVER use all mono again - but braid is not idiot-proof, or if a poorly trimmed knot gets caught in the guides during a run it's over. If you use knots, trim the tag real close & use braid glue on the knot; rubbing it smooth as the glue dries.

Braid with mono topshot - change the mono as needed, change the braid every decade or 2. I use 40# mono long enough so that I can run a plug 30' back from the clip. Alberto knot is probably best for solid braid, but I bit the bullet & bought the needles to use a served connection with hollow core braid. I doubt there is much difference in brands other than color. I have used both 20# & 40# on moochers for salmon; heavier for other fish. I used 20# for over 20 years but switched to 40# as I will be taking the grandkid's out soon (in the next 10-20 years).
Would NEVER use all mono again - but braid is not idiot-proof, or if a poorly trimmed knot gets caught in the guides during a run it's over. If you use knots, trim the tag real close & use braid glue on the knot; rubbing it smooth as the glue dries.
Hey Ericl ,
Is superfly clearFlex cement same as "braid glue" ?

All braids are not equal! I tried a new brand of Braid this year on my jigging reels over Power Pro. Lets just say 5 minutes into fishing I regretted it right a way. The cheeper braid started to bleed color all over the place on the boat, my hands, my pants everywhere. My hands where stained green. I also have a strong feeling that the cheeper braid tangled way more than Power Pro. I will be switching back to Power Pro next year

make it real easy ... 150 yds 30lb fly line backing yellow / bright orange....
300-450 yds your chosen weight braid /make brand. 20'-60' of mono top shot tied with an albright knot...

Back