Braid Vs Wire....yet again..

wishiniwasfishin1

Just a quick question..
My friend is going to reload on the Cannon Riggers (very nice by the way) and he wants to know whether to get braid or go with cable.

I know the pros and cons and did a search and have found some info and most seem to like braid because of the security of knowing there will be no electrical issues and kinks don't happen.

The one issue we have had in the past is the DR clip slipping on the braid.

So, two questions -

1. Is there a way to make sure the clip wont slip on the braid? I know some add tuna chord, but he likes to stack.

2. What type and lb test is best for riggers?

Thanks.

1. Is there a way to make sure the clip wont slip on the braid? I know some add tuna chord, but he likes to stack.

The blue cord connections that I know PN&Twine sells (North Coast brand) for the cannonball connector where a large swivel acts as your stopper....just clip on the cord. And then using the Scotty stacking downrigger clips up high? Have not had issue with the stacking clips moving on braid.

PGRIP_stacker.jpg

If he puts braid on his Canons (assuming they are automatic) they won't stop when they come up. Cannons are designed to automatically stop when the positively charged wire comes out of the water. If he puts braid on them, he better be standing close when the ball comes out of the water because the machine isn't going to stop automatically.

If he puts braid on his Canons (assuming they are automatic) they won't stop when they come up. Cannons are designed to automatically stop when the positively charged wire comes out of the water. If he puts braid on them, he better be standing close when the ball comes out of the water because the machine isn't going to stop automatically.

Interesting.....didn't know that about Canon's. So.... @wishiniwasfishin1 , you may want to ignore my post. ;)

Thanks guys. Bigbruce, you made that decision very easy. Wire it is! The Cannons are really nice. I used them for the first time the other night and I really like the way the wire feeds vertically vs. horizontally.

Exactly why I turfed my cannon with the black box... Wire was needed for the auto stop, causing me not to catch anything on an aluminum boat. Thing always had me second guessing myself!!! If you like em' that's fine but there was some bad voodoo voltage and I caught a lot more last year with my scotty's and braid now ;) (however if you have a glass boat you can certainly do wire with no worries)

The top line cannon models can interface with your sounder to be raised and lowered as the bottom depth changes as well. I believe you can also have them automatically raise and lower at intervals to hopefully provoke a strike as your trolling.

I had Cannons, and liked the fact that the motors were direct drive - no belts. They worked great, but I didn't like the fact that I couldn't stack rods as there was no way to stop the motor until the steel line came out of the water.

If you really wanted the capability of stopping the riggers you could easily interupt the power line with a simple on off switch. Wouldn't auto stop at the stacked clips, but I never use stacker stops when I'm stacking. I like to vary the depths I stack at, so it's more of a bother for me.

Yeah its a glass boat so electrical hopefully wont be an issue.

I have only fished with them once and it was just a shake down cruise. They are the top of the line ones that can be sync'd.

They seem really smooth. I am pretty sure you can stack on these ones. I didn't know about the electric current auto stop the other night but saw there was no stopper, so just reeled them up manually with the 'up[ button (as opposed to 'auto up').

Scottys are great and we have always fished Scottys and in fact there is a set of the high speed scottys on board.

Its a new (used) boat and came with cannons, so we want to give them a try because all of the poetential sync possibilities.

I love locally made products and am a huge scotty supporter. One thing that I like right off the bat with Cannons is that the pulley is oriented vertically which makes sense to me as you are pulling straight up on the cannon ball.

I have never owned a cannon electric, so I can't comment from my own personal use. However, I have been reading the fishing forums for years. Two things seem pretty common when the subject comes up regarding the cannon Downriggers. Reliability, and quick availability of parts when a breakdown occurs. Perhaps cannon has improved their reliability issues, but complaints were pretty common from owners in the past. Parts are rarely available locally, (unlike Scotty) and you will definitely pay a premium for parts with the high American dollar. Almost all Scotty parts are available locally, and have free replacement to the original purchaser under their great warranty. I'm not trying to knock the cannon products, as I'm sure their advanced features would be great to have. Although, I do think there's a good reason why 95% of the riggers on the chuck are Scotty's. I'd love to have the advanced features of the cannon's, but I don't want to have to go back to wire, or have all the extra costs, and parts headaches when a breakdown occurs.

Hope you're happy with your cannon's. I'm sure you will love all those great features they have. I'd think the nice tricks they can perform would put more fish in the boat. They would also seem to make fishing by yourself much easier with all the auto tracking features. Good luck with all your new toys.

Back