Bottom paint

Boats in the Campbell River area and want my bottom paint taken off and reapplied.
Had my boat mechanic shop give a quote from a reputable guy 3450$ plus tax!!
Is that about right? It’s a 24 foot whaler conquest. thanks

Holy crap - I certainly hope not!! We will be doing ours at some point soon and we are just over 24 feet and I wasn't expecting that kind of charge. Hope someone states that this quote is out to lunch. Geez.....man, this is one expensive hobby!

My Campion 542 (18') was $2200 for its first application.. so no removal of any old paint, at Parksville boathouse

Boats in the Campbell River area and want my bottom paint taken off and reapplied.
Sounds about right lol,sucks but it’s a nasty job to strip the old stuff,then prep for new paint then the paint itself. I do my own,have always done it myself( to cheap ) to pay someone to do something I can do myself lol

I never strip the old ablative off......just re-apply every spring. Am I doing something wrong? Seems to work so far.

I would strip it off and start fresh, it will look so much better and save on fuel burn, nice and smooth so Just do it yourself and save $$ :)

If the boat was close to me I would definitely do it myself.
I’m in Prince George boats in CR. If there’s anyone with contacts for doing this project send me a pm. Not into 4K for a paint job I can’t see lol

I would strip it off and start fresh, it will look so much better and save on fuel burn, nice and smooth so Just do it yourself and save $$ :)
Could be an episode of Dirty Jobs lol, only ever done it once and it was nasty. The boat I have now only has 2x layer now, one hard paint and one soft paint over top going on 3 years now on the soft paint and no growth on it, still good for another season I think. A bit of work to strip down to gel, then prep and redo

If you're getting a proper job done, it's a lot of work. The easy, safe way to strip the paint is to get a soda blaster to do it. Otherwise you will need an appropriate chemical stripper. Sanding is a terrible idea. After you clean the hull down to gel coat it's a good idea to apply a barrier paint followed by a couple of coats of the expensive ablative paint. Whatever you take away is toxic waste and should be properly disposed of. And remember all your PPE and put a big tarp down before you start. Again, you are working with poison. I seem to always find better things to do.

If you're getting a proper job done, it's a lot of work. The easy, safe way to strip the paint is to get a soda blaster to do it. Otherwise you will need an appropriate chemical stripper. Sanding is a terrible idea. After you clean the hull down to gel coat it's a good idea to apply a barrier paint followed by a couple of coats of the expensive ablative paint. Whatever you take away is toxic waste and should be properly disposed of. And remember all your PPE and put a big tarp down before you start. Again, you are working with poison. I seem to always find better things to do.
Yes that’s a really good reason to wear a mask

i just apply interprotect 2000e 8 coats alternating grey/white when i hit a log or something 3-4 coats come off then i just touch up those areas by slapping another gallon on there 3-4 coats annually. job done.

I think for that price they are sanding right down to gelcoat and then putting barrier coats before a couple of coats of new bottom paint. I was going to have that done to my 30’ and it was $5000. However quite a few guys I talked to said don’t bother unless you have gelcoat issues. I do a light sanding each spring and then another coat of Micron CSC. $275. I concentrate sanding more on the sides and bow where people can see it so it looks good. The bottom for me does not matter as much.
I can do the sanding and bottom paint in a couple of hours. It is a really messy job and I get a disposable hazmat suit and respirator cause all you can do is throw them away after.
Its the stern drives that take me a long time to sand down and 2 coats of Interlux. I can tell you although expensive it’s way more fun to watch someone else do it.

Sound about right, and if youre in vancouver multiply that by 1.5.

I had our hull stripped the 2 coats of barrier and 3 coats of interlux done 5 years ago and its still holding up well.

The PO just had added layers slapped over failing layers so I figured I sanded it set up right. After doing my whaler a few times I'm ok with paying for it as I was coughing up black for 6 months after haha. I do the drive each year and now the boat is wet slipped in a shed its even more important to stay on top of these coatings for sure.

Thank you all for the responses. Makes me feel better about that cost.
The hull must have 5 or so coats of paint on it with some bare patches. The labor costs involved getting that off, regardless of the process, is time consuming and costly.
Thanks agian.

It would be cool if someone could come up with something that could stand up on the leg like the hull does. Probably kill everything in the ocean tho haha

It would be cool if someone could come up with something that could stand up on the leg like the hull does. Probably kill everything in the ocean tho haha
I’ve had good success with Interlux and then the spray on zinc coating. Lasts the year with no growth

Back