Bottom Paint removal

casper5280

Crew Member
Any done this? The old Hourston has a dozen or so coats of bottom paint on it. Its is all chipped off and than just repainted. I looks like hell and is quite rough. I thinking of removing it all and changing all the thou hulls at the same time and than repainting it. The boat lives on a trailer for the most part but does spends a lot of time in the water over the summer. Tips on doing this? How about blasting it off? Places, Prices? (23 ft Hourston) Strippers to use? Paints? Any help at all. Thanks

I had great success using acetone when I remove the bottom paint on my project boat. The bottom paint was the red/pink and it came off beautifully with a rag, acetone and a little elbow grease. Wear rubber gloves and a respirator.

There is a product at Industrial Paint and Plastics. Its a bit of a procedure, but works well. Can't remeber name or costs. There is a 1 litre "tester" that you can buy to see if its the way you want to go.

I've been wondering this same thing. The bottom paint on my Sea Ray looks like hell and is very rough...seems like it would be creating a bunch of extra drag through the water.

I would reccomend calling Hourston, they apply and re-apply the stuff on new and used boats:

1365 Main St North Vancouver
(604) 988-8811

Anti-fouling paint is some nasty stuff, you'll want to get it right. Might even be worth breaking out the cheque book to save yourself a messy disaster.

just did the bottom of my 24' striper the previous owner never did the prep work so it was patchy at best.i tried different stuff including this product boat bright soy bottom stripper. it worked okay but in the end i used my paint scraper and hours of fun did the best. i've seen guys use angle grinders and aggressive sanding disks which works great but they cut into the gel coat way to easy for me. there guys that sand blast which is the best but $$$$$$. be
care full if you try thinners and acetone some can seriously damage gel coating. hated doing it but with it all finished it looks great and was worth it.

good luck

I've been wondering this same thing. The bottom paint on my Sea Ray looks like hell and is very rough...seems like it would be creating a bunch of extra drag through the water.
That was my thinking. The boat still looks good all polished up and than you look at the bottom paint and it looks like hell. Specially when sitting on the trailer.

Find somebody that does soda blasting and save the trouble of crawling on the ground trying to apply that liquid ****.
Any idea of price or someone that does it?

I did it once on my boat. I wont be doing it again ! Bottom paint is some nasty **** ! I found sanding it off on a windy day, up wind still got on my skin. It is not good. I paid 1K last year to remove 2 layers and put on a fresh coat of new. WELL worth the money to pay someone who is equipped and is set up for it. 1K for a 25 ft hull 2nd year and no sign off redoing any time soon.

Forget the outfits name but he is down behind the fresh water marina in CR

Find somebody that does soda blasting and save the trouble of crawling on the ground trying to apply that liquid ****.

x2 sodablasting is the way to go. Make sure you do it at a shop though as the runoff kills everything that is green. grass flowers etc.

beemer

Ocean pacific medea blasting from duncan does soda blasting 250-701-2391 and is portable. Sal is a good guy.

I scraped, and scraped, sanded with a power sander and painted with interlux performance epoxy. The paint is easy to apply and is harder than gel coat.
before.jpgwhaler wrap 128.jpgafter.jpgafter scraping.jpg
I tried to get the pics in order but it did not work. Obviously the third pic is the end result.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a quote today from Enviroblast. $2500-3000 Ouch. Think I will try and do it myself if the other quotes are in that price range.

What did it cost to do your whaler? I have a 235 conquest too that needs bottom paint

The only cost was the paint and sanding disc. Maybe $200. Its is all labour. I agree with the other guys regarding the soda blasting. What you have to decide is whether or not you want to start from scatch and repaint or restore your gel coat. Restoring the gel coat will be expensive but nice. I felt the epoxy paint was the perfect solution for my boat. The paint does not have any antifouling qualities but that was fine for me because the boat is trailered.

I felt the epoxy paint was the perfect solution for my boat. The paint does not have any antifouling qualities but that was fine for me because the boat is trailered.
This was the route that I thought I would take.

Back