Bottom paint question

Steveo

Thinking of new bottom paint on my 16' Double Eagle. Why do guys do paint lines that are level with the ground instead of using a rib/stringer line to make it look nicer?

Bottom paint should be 1 inch or more above and parallel with your waterline when loaded.If it doesn't follow water line it won't look good when your on the water.Don't forget it's all about the prep or your paint won't stick.It's a nasty job you don't want to do more than once.

Thanks rayvon. I figured it had something to do with that.

I had Blackline Marine redo the bottom paint on my boat last year after letting it get a little overdue. A little trick they did was use blue for the first coat and then black for the 2nd and 3rd. As soon as you see blue you know it's time to repaint.

As soon as I see boat instead of bottom paint I know it's time to re-do

As soon as I see boat instead of bottom paint I know it's time to re-do
If you're seeing boat you've waited too long. It was explained to me that the first coat should be a base that provides a chemical bond between the fibreglass and the bottom paint. If you've worn that far down then when you recoat you will not have the benefit of the chemical bond and will be relying on a mechanical bond. Blackline is a top notch company that only does jobs to the highest standard.

Black line does do nice work....i have seen their rigging work on fairly large sailboats and it was beautiful. I'm just too cheap/poor to take my stuff to someone to do pretty much any work.

Back