Bottom Jigging Outfit

Lucky Streak

Hi There,
New to this forum and new to Vancouver Island. I haven't done a lot of bottom fishing in the past, mostly trolling for salmon. Now that I am on Vancouver Island I want to spend more time bottom fishing for lingcod and other bottom dwellers not necessarily halibut. I need some advice on choosing a rod and reel but I have a couple of questions.
I was once on a halibut charter and caught a 70 pounder. The charter operator had a 6'6" rod and a Penn level-wind reel. To be honest it felt so cumbersome having the reel mounted on top of the rod and very hard on my left arm when fighting the fish. I am so used to a regular west coast set up for salmon where the knuckle buster is on the bottom of the rod. In every store or picture where I see a bottom jigging outfit I see the reel mounted on the top...................why is this?
Does anyone fish bottom fish with a left handed level-wind reel mounted on the bottom? I would like recommendations on a medium sized rod,reel and line suitable for lingcod in the medium price range $200-$300.

Sounds to me that you’d be happy with a larger spinning rod/reel. Whatever you do make sure that it’s saltwater grade. I know guys that use the Shimano Socorro 6000 for salmon/cod and a Socorro 8000 for salmon/cod/halibut. The 8000 holds 340 yards of 40lb test which is more than enough. 4.9:1 retrieve is good when you are ripping it up from 250’. Is pair that with a regular Shimano Trevala spinning rod - TVS66MH. That setup would last you for years. Whatever you do don’t buy a big pool cue for a rod. They are cumbersome and you’ll get tired of it quick. I quickly landed a 65lb hali last spring in a light jigging setup. It was probably the funnest fish I’ve ever landed.

Good luck!

WW

Get a fighting belt, it'll keep the rod from twisting. My wife needs one too. :p

Left handed level wind reels are available and go with a 7 ft medium weight rod. I run a similar set up for my south paw guests

Left handed level wind reels are available and go with a 7 ft medium weight rod. I run a similar set up for my south paw guests

Hi I also like knuckle busters and I have yet to try out my rig I put together for jigging. I filled a large arbor saltwater fly reel with fine backing and some mono and a fairly stiff spinning rod. I think the large arbor will retrieve fast enough and I can let off the drag to free wheel to the bottom. I can’t wait to give it a try

When you put a left handed reel upside down do you end up reeling backwards? I’m trying to visualize that. It would be weird AF until you got used to it lol.

I find that the smaller the reel the less twist and the easier it is to control. Generally speaking I see most guys using huge reels unnecessarily. A Penn 30 for me is totally overkill for cod.

A Penn level wind is not a Penn International. That’s a big distinction. I had a friend bring some Penn level winds on a tuna trip, and under those loads, the reels were terrible compared to my Penn Internationals. They were binding up so easily and then easily rotating as you tried to crank on them. I’m sure that reel you used was sweating on that 70# hali too.
I don’t think you necessarily need a level wind reel. Almost everything I’ve read about them says that sooner or later something goes wrong with the level wind aspect of the reel, and that you’re better off keeping it simple.
I personally think it’s hard to beat a spinning reel for jigging. I’d stay away from any level wind reel.

A Penn level wind is not a Penn International. That’s a big distinction. I had a friend bring some Penn level winds on a tuna trip, and under those loads, the reels were terrible compared to my Penn Internationals. They were binding up so easily and then easily rotating as you tried to crank on them. I’m sure that reel you used was sweating on that 70# hali too.
I don’t think you necessarily need a level wind reel. Almost everything I’ve read about them says that sooner or later something goes wrong with the level wind aspect of the reel, and that you’re better off keeping it simple.
I personally think it’s hard to beat a spinning reel for jigging. I’d stay away from any level wind reel.
I should clarify, I guess I think of it as a ‘light setup’ because of its size and weight but it’s anything but light. The reel was a Shimano Trinidad 16NA and a Shimano Game Type J jigging rod, which is feather light but will land a bluefin tuna. I also agree that if you can stay away from a levelwind do it. A conventional reel will last a lot longer and far less moving parts to fail.

There are a few forum members using that reel and they love it and will attest to it’s awesomeness lol.

This gives me goose bumps when I watch it. Spinning or levelwind, pick your poison. This gear can handle big fish & way better than a stiff broom stick.

I feel your pain,I've never been able to get used to the reel on top,wobble.If your just targeting cod etc. you can keep it dead simple with a 9-10 ft. rod and a reel like the Shimano 4000.It can double as a downrigger rod if you like.I've jigged up halibut on my 10 ft 6 in. rod and that reel,it's called "sport" fishing after all.

I'd search info on what the kayak fisherman use on Bloodydecks down in San Diego or Hawaii....it's pretty wild what some of those guys hook into

Totally agree the reel on top setup is less than ideal. I have used a Shimano KB for bottom fish, & it works well for depths up to around 200ft except the slow retrieve rate while great for grinding in fish is a pain when just retrieving your gear. Deeper than that the increased lure/sinker weight makes the KB a real pain bringing up the gear; WAY too slow.
IMO the best option when the KB won't cut it is a 2 speed conventional reel with lugs on the top of the spool. You attach a harness to the lugs with the harness attached to a fighting belt. That was the reel won't be turning over on you, they have huge handles with long cranks & you can really get your gear up fast. When bring in a fish, I let the rod do the work; reel down on the fish oil the rod is really bent, wait for the rod to unload, then repeat. A large spinner is good except they are not 2 speed.

Thanks for all of the responses and information provided. I think I'm going to shop around for a medium weight spin casting rod with a spin casting salt water reel, something like that Shimano Socorro loaded with braided line.

While a spinning rod would work it is not ideal. The drags are not as robust or smooth and they can twist line easily if your not careful. When I chartered I used shimano trevala rods with avet reels and they worked great for all skill levels. When I saw a client reeling wonky it was usually a hand placement issue which with a bit of training can be resolved. Using a small enough frame reel where your hand can interface part of the reel helps a ton. If you still feel it is not working a spiral wrapped rod may be the answer. GL

Now why don' they put a trigger on the bottom rods reel seat like river rods have. Solve the wobble issue. Seems like a no brainer to me :confused:

If your used to knuckle busters just use them, for quick lowering just flick the switch on the back of the reel and let it free wheel down. keep your thumb ready to put the brakes on when the lure hits the bottom or you will have a rats nest.

I prefer a mooching rod way more touchy IMO, with finesse and patience you can real anything up on those rods. A newbie probably not the best set up but an angler with some experience will have no problem plus it will be more fun :)

One factor why you may want such a heavy set up is if you plan on fishing extremely deep with heavy gear required. But if your fishing 120ft or less no prob on a salmon rod.

Last edited:
Nothing like a penn carnage with the squall reels. Yes reel on top, you get used to it after a little time. If your arm got sore then your using it wrong. I cringe when I see BC pros (hockey) on TV using them wrong, get a belt, put the rod but in the lower small part of your belly/groin. If the rod butt is under your arm when fighting a fish its incorrect and after a few hours or fish you will be sore.

Could use the carnage spinning with a spinfisher reel if you want a spinning outfit. I am not sure how deep you plan on fishing, anything past 150-200 with a single action frustrates me. So slow to retrieve. Please don't be like the stupid LOTTO TV add with the reel on backwards, reeling backwards.

HM

I’ll add that jigging with a mooching rod is extremely inefficient. There is no way to properly set a hook on a fish with a slow action rod. It’s like a wet noodle. When a fish bitEs in 250’ you need to slam that hook in its face and fast. A proper jigging rod will increase your chance for success for sure.

Last edited:
Another point the new braid reels, and rod outfits are feather light and perfectly balanced compared to any aged combo. There's a reason guys south are speed jigging monster fish, fish that make salmon, hali and all BC fish look like sluggish minnows with these new outfits. The power of a 60 lb + tuna, sailfish or jack is unbelievable.

HM

Back