Boiling prawn heads to make stock - it's worth it!

Sangstercraft

I used to toss them out, but after Rain City's comment about frying them I looked into some recipies. Haven't done the fry method yet, but I have made a few liters of prawn broth.

Water, prawn heads, onion, garlic, bay leaf, celery, carrot. Simmer it for an hour then strain into glass jars and freeze or refrigerate. I've used this stock in my seafood linguine and a few other meals.. It really kicks it up a notch!

I used to toss them out, but after Rain City's comment about frying them I looked into some recipies. Haven't done the fry method yet, but I have made a few liters of prawn broth.

Water, prawn heads, onion, garlic, bay leaf, celery, carrot. Simmer it for an hour then strain into glass jars and freeze or refrigerate. I've used this stock in my seafood linguine and a few other meals.. It really kicks it up a notch!
I told you lol. We freeze it in small portions and like you said add it to pastas and soups and it really kicks up the seafood flavor. Not great on its own as a broth but as a flavor booster it's amazing. I'm actually starting to pressure can my stocks now. Doing an organic chicken broth today!

Next time try making oil the same way. Great for dipping bread into with some balsamic and a sprinkle of salt.

I told you lol. We freeze it in small portions and like you said add it to pastas and soups and it really kicks up the seafood flavor. Not great on its own as a broth but as a flavor booster it's amazing. I'm actually starting to pressure can my stocks now. Doing an organic chicken broth today!

Next time try making oil the same way. Great for dipping bread into with some balsamic and a sprinkle of salt.
Ah, that's where I heard it. Thanks man! What's the least-likely thing you've added the broth to? I warmed up some brown rice the other morning, tossed in some broth, simmered it, and poured in some beaten eggs. Scrambled it with some jalapeno. Turned out great.

How do you make the oil?

I don't like the thought of eating prawn bait.

Ah, that's where I heard it. Thanks man! What's the least-likely thing you've added the broth to? I warmed up some brown rice the other morning, tossed in some broth, simmered it, and poured in some beaten eggs. Scrambled it with some jalapeno. Turned out great.

How do you make the oil?
Same as making stock just really low heat and I crush up the shells while its going. I do it in a bigger pot so I can really mash it up without making a mess.

I don't like the thought of eating prawn bait.
I agree. I don't rip the heads off until I'm home and I change the water out in the cooler at least twice giving them a chance to flush out the food. I also give them a really good rinse once home.

Try frying the heads in the pot ahead of adding water. A "fond" will develop on the bottom of the pot, this is all great flavor as its prawn juices that have undergone Maillard's reaction (like the browning on a steak etc). When you add water, the fond will lift from the bottom of the pan and incorporate into the stock.

Try frying the heads in the pot ahead of adding water. A "fond" will develop on the bottom of the pot, this is all great flavor as its prawn juices that have undergone Maillard's reaction (like the browning on a steak etc). When you add water, the fond will lift from the bottom of the pan and incorporate into the stock.
You are absolutely correct

thats a very "foody" maneuver.

Back