Boats on Used Victoria and Other Areas

does anyone know if someone from the forum bought the 17' 1997 double eagle and the 21' grady that I posted up? those were clean and decent priced boats!

Last edited:
Question for you guys, I'm not in the market for a boat now but will be in 1-2 years, if u see a boat you like,for a good price, that won't last long, how would you go about it, call and say You will take it if it passes inspection and get a someone to look at it?

Question for you guys, I'm not in the market for a boat now but will be in 1-2 years, if u see a boat you like,for a good price, that won't last long, how would you go about it, call and say You will take it if it passes inspection and get a someone to look at it?
I doubt anyone would hold it for that--you could try it but I doubt it!! If it is really good-first guy there will get it-it also will depend on the price and size of the boat and how good a deal it is. Sometimes you just have to take a chance!! LOL

A good used boat won't last long, you need to be the 1st to show up cash in hand.
There may not be time for a survey if there's a lot of interest.
If the seller is reasonable, a mechanical inspection could be done but you'll need to jump on it right away.

Yup, I lost a boat by 10 minutes last week. The guy ahead of me bought it without a sea trial, no inspection. Gave it a quick look about and handed over the money.

The seller said he would be home at about 3:30pm to show it. Silly me, I got stuck in traffic got there at 4:00 and it was sold with more guys pulling up to his house as I left.

It was a cherry 17' Tyee for $8000. The Double Eagle posted above is a deal and won't last a day. Sometimes, you just gotta show up with the dough, take it away and hope for the best.

Heck, I bought a bout from New Jersey last year for a silly low price. Just trusting the buyer, no survey. Turned out to be in better shape than I had hoped.

Bring your compression tester, spark tester, multimeter, flathead screwdriver for checking gear oil, rubber mallet for checking soft spots on a glass hull, trouble light, spark plug sockets etc. Aluminum boats look for corrosion or cracks and glass boats look for dried sealant on thru hull fittings as well at how many holes are drilled into the transom as well as how well they are sealed. Silicone below the waterline (or anywhere for that matter) is usually a bad sign - they should be using white 4200 or 5200 as sealant. Obviously check for oil leaks, shoddy wiring (crimped/heat shrink sealed connections only!), scrapes to gelcoat, exposed glass etc. Glass boats stored uncovered are a big gamble...they need to stay dry. Soft spots on the floor may be indicative of other water ingress issues in the transom and stringers but not always. None of these things may be a deal killer but give you leverage in negotiating a better price. Either way it's a used boat...you're gonna be busting out another tool or breaking out another thousand!

Back