Boating in the USA

ZENYO

Hi All,

I just bought a place down in Birch Bay and I'm curious about what I need to consider / watch out for when boating in the USA. I will be trailering the boat through the border and launching it in the states.

Thanks!

I don't think an individual needs a AIS permit if transporting over land.

Exemptions
Exempt vessels include:

• Vessels registered in Washington (generally private recreational unless otherwise registered);
  • Vessels registered in Idaho or Oregon, when those vessels are being used in shared state waters (generally private recreational unless otherwise registered; specific to shared waters of the Columbia River with Oregon and the Snake River with Idaho);
  • U.S. or foreign commercial vessels (having valid marine documentation as a vessel of the U.S. or a foreign country);
  • Private or commercial vessels being transported over land by a commercial transporter (a permit is required by the commercial transporter only);
  • Military vessels owned by the U.S. government; and
  • Vessels clearly identified as being owned by any federal, tribal, state, or local government agency or other public entities, and used primarily for governmental purposes.
beemer

I don't think an individual needs a AIS permit if transporting over land.

Exemptions
Exempt vessels include:

• Vessels registered in Washington (generally private recreational unless otherwise registered);
  • Vessels registered in Idaho or Oregon, when those vessels are being used in shared state waters (generally private recreational unless otherwise registered; specific to shared waters of the Columbia River with Oregon and the Snake River with Idaho);
  • U.S. or foreign commercial vessels (having valid marine documentation as a vessel of the U.S. or a foreign country);
  • Private or commercial vessels being transported over land by a commercial transporter (a permit is required by the commercial transporter only);
  • Military vessels owned by the U.S. government; and
  • Vessels clearly identified as being owned by any federal, tribal, state, or local government agency or other public entities, and used primarily for governmental purposes.
beemer
True but OP stated intent to launch vessel in WA water.

Also "Private or commercial vessels being transported over land by a commercial transporter (a permit is required by the commercial transporter only);" does NOT give an exemption to a private vessel transported by a private transport.

Like most laws, I think they just threw the badly worded legislation out there to see how it would stick.

Back