Boat trade cross border

coholips

I have an intriguing offer to trade my Double Eagle with a guy down in Seattle for his 19' Glasply. Does anyone know how I would go about doing this transaction? Do I have to sell it to him to make it legal? What kind of paperwork would be involved for me to change title in a swap? Can I just simply trailer my boat down and make the swap and put his titles in my name and hand over my registration? Or is this going to be a major headache that I should avoid? Any advice would be appreciated.

it's not that big of deal bringing it to canada , they need title of the boat and the dollar valu use "nada guide" they need it so you can pay the taxes. keep your trailer so you don't need to get it inspected and pay taxes on it. then take your paper work to the gov office to get your k numbers. get a washington transfer form and get him to sign the title over to you.

I bought my boat in the States and it was easy to bring it back. Need a separate bill of sale and titles for the trailer and the boat, a letter from the trailer manufacturer stating any recalls (the letter can be obtained after you get it back to Canada). You pay the GST or the dreaded HST:( and an inspection fee for the trailer. I did learn that taking the boat across the border and then selling it is a huge no no at least it is for Americans bringing boats across the border and then subsequently selling them. I could be wrong about this as it was a year and a bit ago that I researched this. I strongly suggest you look into it and do your research first so you don't have any problems.

Purchased a few boats down there with no problems whatsoever. There are a few prior posts you can research using the search function with lots of advice. Basic deal is you have to pay the taxes.:( Any trailers must be insured when you cross the border, and there is an inspection fee you must pay up front and take it to Canadian Tire within 30 days for the inspection. It must pass and meet all our safety standards. Boat registration is done quite easily through Transport Canada. Be certain you have all sale documents and financial proof of what you paid. If they think you paid too little, they will make you pay tax on the book value...so document everything and have all financial records and bank statements to back those up. So it is easy, but you need to be a good record keeper.

Searun

th_067.jpg

bringing one down from the states is easy but good luck getting yours across to hom i'd look into it very carefully those american border guys can be dicks.

Back