Boat storage and moisture issues...

Waterwolf2230

Hey fellas,

It’s my first time owning an enclosed boat and am looking for advice on keeping the interior nice and dry/new smelling. I used some Dry Z Air the last month and it did an okay job but is there a better system to keep the humidity out of the cabin?

Thanks in advance,

WW

Air movement. If you have the ability to store it in a garage, put a giant fan on the ceiling. Open all the hatches, windows, doors etc and let the air move through.

Having worked in the RV industry for a few years I am not a fan of DRY Z Air despite it's popularity. It attracts moisture and stores it in the container. If you are going to use it you must change frequently. This is a much better option. https://www.caframolifestylesolutions.com/product/marine/stor-dry/
I am fortunate to have a shop and store my boat inside all winter. It is not heated. I keep doors and hatches open and don't use a fan. I have never had an issue.

I've found that as long as it is covered and leave doors and windows open I never seem to have any problems. As Baddogg said I found the same problem with the DryZ but at that time I use to shut everything tight. Even just a 60watt light on in the cuddy makes a big difference.

F95DD9F3-E668-4EFC-B539-1CB183930C06.jpeg I use one of these in my boat, and one in my camper. Both stored outside in the driveway
(in rainy North Vancouver no less). It has a heat element in it equivalent to a 60 watt bulb, and also has a fan to circulate the air. Keep a window cracked. Every time I poke my head in there when it’s cold and pouring outside, it’s warm & dry inside the boat.

View attachment 38728 I use one of these in my boat, and one in my camper. Both stored outside in the driveway
(in rainy North Vancouver no less). It has a heat element in it equivalent to a 60 watt bulb, and also has a fan to circulate the air. Keep a window cracked. Every time I poke my head in there when it’s cold and pouring outside, it’s warm & dry inside the boat.
X2 without a doubt.

View attachment 38728 I use one of these in my boat, and one in my camper. Both stored outside in the driveway
Work great!

I use the caframo (similar to picture). Leave one in cuddy doorway, boat in storage shed. Works great.

You might need two, large boat
There the best, if you cover it up tight. Get vents in the cover

You might need two, large boat
There the best, if you cover it up tight. Get vents in the cover
I’m trying to figure a way to vent the boat and still keep it secure. When the window and door is shut there is literally no air movement.

I’ll get that electric air dryer, seems like the best option. I just can’t keep a window cracked or the rain will get in. By the fall I’ll have a a Shelter Logic 40’x12’x16’ to keep the water out. I think at that time I’ll get an audible motion alarm as a deterrent.

Thanks for all the input!

Every boat is different.

In the big boat, I run a large dehumidifier at the end of the season for a few days and then put in the low amp Caframo.
Two winters ago, there was a load of snow on the front deck and the heater below in the v-berth cause extreme condensation.
It was a disaster, warm and wet. Nice when you are with a woman, no good when you are alone in the b-berth.
Last year, kept the heat out of the v-berth, no problem with the snow.

In the smaller eaglecraft, I run two of those things with no issues at all.

Back